Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is it me or has the controller market really slowed down?

is it me or has the controller market really slowed down?

seems like there are is very little inovation these day with controllers

i have to admit midrange controllers are what interest me the most , so there may be innovation happening somewhere else in the market (id be interested to know where)
    but for the midrange, all the main players, numark mixtrack 3, denon mc4000, pioneer DDJsb among others , have not changed since 3 or 4 years ago
    there seems to be nothing new coming out, and no sign of it in near future either.

even some redesigns, or different colors would at least be something

any thoughts?
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 03-05-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

i have to admit midrange controllers are what interest me the most , so there may be innovation happening somewhere else in the market (id be interested to know where)
    but for the midrange, all the main players, numark mixtrack 3, denon mc4000, pioneer DDJsb among others , have not changed since 3 or 4 years ago
    there seems to be nothing new coming out, and no sign of it in near future either.

even some redesigns, or different colors would at least be something

any thoughts?
    I don’t disagree. There’s not much in the way of new innovation in controllers right now, and I think the market is perhaps saturated. It’s gonna take something really different to get things percolating again. I also think prices are too high on the higher end models. I’m not in the market for a new controller, but I wouldn’t mind having a controller with dual computer (USB) ports so I can have a live backup. Are controllers that don’t require a computer the future of controllers? I just don’t know.

It's the law of diminishing returns kicking in. The easy/cheap innovations in controllers have been discovered and made. It'll be harder and more expensive for manufactures to figure out what DJ's want in term of new controller features.
    And, as DJ Bobcat said, saturation will be making the controller market stagnate to a degree as well.

yeah i think its time to start building my own, just wish i had the money, its sooo damn expensive... i want a controller with 12 channel strips with vertical faders and 3pot eqs plus two assignable...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    Are controllers that don’t require a computer the future of controllers? I just don’t know.
    I would say the past. These things used to be called CDJs.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    any thoughts?
    If they added just that one last functionality of picking up music for you, they would be called jukeboxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    They dont do video

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

If they added just that one last functionality of picking up music for you, they would be called jukeboxes.
    dont knock the automix feature lol
    it has its uses.

I think a few different colors would be no harm
    id love to see a white, or a silver or gold case Denon MC4000

id really like to see controllers with a lot more custom buttons because custom buttons are the best part of DJ software (virtual DJ anyways) currently most controllers have nada in this department.

we need more mid range controllers with balanced connections ! they used to exist ,but it was taken away from us when the higher range controller market picked up

i think we need more "portablist" pro grade gear, because now the most portable gear is quite flimsy and aimed at the beginner while the pro gear is expected to be big and clunky
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 03-06-2020 at 12:01 PM.

The last innovations in the controller market have been (1) becoming an all-in-one (to function without a laptop) and (2) Incorporating samples onboard (Roland DJ-series) back in 2016. I suppose that the industry was watching the Phase DJ to see if that is something to incorporate, but I can't tell if it was a successful product or not.

Since then, basically there's been no evolution in the intermediate to advanced controller market. For the low end, there's been experimentation to see what sells, not evolutionary features added.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The VDJ shows they can add some video circuitry and video file handling in there. There is probably little to no market for those (especially at pioneer retail prices), and it would require a built in hard drive or something to handle the larger file sizes with video formats. And for the DJ to purchase those files.

Having fancy colours and redesigns kind of contradicts your expectations, in the sense that these do not qualify as an innovation. When it comes to customise stuff visually, people use third party companies like styleflip.

You do have a point regarding a lack of balanced outs, but they are the ones who limited the features on the cheaper ranges of products.

I kind of suspect the next gen is going to be focused more on app pairing with your phone coupled with a streaming service.

I think the main problem is the DJ market dried up. A few years ago, everybody wanted to be a DJ, and people where buying controllers left and right because they wanted to be the next Qbert. There used to be tons of post on this forum every day. Now we get one or two post week. All those wanna be DJ's finally figured out that DJing is not as easy as they thought, and it is hard as hell to make any money at it. So they are not selling as much stuff as they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    I think the main problem is the DJ market dried up. A few years ago, everybody wanted to be a DJ, and people where buying controllers left and right because they wanted to be the next Qbert. There used to be tons of post on this forum every day. Now we get one or two post week. All those wanna be DJ's finally figured out that DJing is not as easy as they thought, and it is hard as hell to make any money at it. So they are not selling as much stuff as they used to.
    I never took Controllers seriously for scratching or even manual beatmatching for that matter.
    I see it purely as a practical and portable option.
    I know plenty of DJs have managed to do good scratching on these, not saying it cant be done, but seems like a silly selling point to me. just get the real thing if you want to scratch