Thread: Serato with Chromebook

Serato with Chromebook

I just bought a pioneer DDJ-SB3 for the house yesterday but I also have a HP Chromebook I bought in December that I planned to use it with... but Serato doesn’t work with CHrome OS. Does anyone know a work around or a similar program I can use instead?? I used transitions for chrome book and it works somewhat but not fully.. any suggestions?

Anyway to put windows on the chromebook?
    thats probably the easiest option.
    also a chromebook would probably not have a great spec for running a modern DVS.
    If all fails, a cheap second hand windows laptop would cost very little really.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Parallel desktop/WINE?

WINE is a virtual desktop for Unix like systems (probably doable in Linux, I think Chrome OS is Linux kernel-based) and Parallels is for running Windows programs on OS X that aren't supported by Apple (I had it, never used it in practice though but OS X/MacOS is a hybrid kernel based on BSD/Unix much like Linux, and Chrome)

I've used WINE and, although it had it's quirks; ie. you're basically hanging on to volunteer software engineers porting programs for free, it's fairly stable and has a database where you can check the compatibility which ranges from unchecked to bronze-gold depending on how well the ported software installs&runs.

WINE ran nice on Ubuntu and openSuse back in 2007 or so on Windows Vista. The Chrome OS is a different animal because although Unix-like it could have compatibility issues with WINE, the program I googled was CrossOver (technically Chrome is closer to Unix/Linux, not OS X which is close, but not Windows)

As how to run Linux/OS X programs on Windows is another thing..

The good thing with Windows operating systems is you rarely have to build anything from source (ie. downloading the source code and installing the program using the command line with "make build" etc like in Linux) but instead the developers included a wizard to do all the install parameters like source/destination folders for you.

EDIT : Linux has very different audio drivers btw and most likely you'll run into compatibility issues with interfaces supported by Win/OS X.. I noticed a high-pitched noise and "downsampling" grainyness when running Ubuntu from a loopback USB drive using A&H Zed10FX via USB audio out on a PC normally running Windows Vista 64-bit (quad-core 2,4GHz Q6600/4GB RAM)

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisboom View Post
    I just bought a pioneer DDJ-SB3 for the house yesterday but I also have a HP Chromebook I bought in December that I planned to use it with... but Serato doesn’t work with CHrome OS. Does anyone know a work around or a similar program I can use instead?? I used transitions for chrome book and it works somewhat but not fully.. any suggestions?
    Well.. Serato won't run on ChromeOS directly.

Do you have to have vinyl control, that's going to be hard...

You have got a few options tho.

1. I think ChromeOS runs Andoid applications now, so try DJay Pro, it is a well regarded program, maybe it'll work for you. https://www.algoriddim.com/djay-android

2. I also think ChromeOS (which is based on linux and the chrome browser) can run some linux applications.. maybe you can get Mixxx working https://www.mixxx.org/

As far as installing windows.. yea, it depends on the exact chromebook, some use ARM processors, some use Intel/AMD.. if you have ARM then forget it. If you have Intel or AMD cpu then in theory you can wipe out chromeos and install windows instead, but the whole point of a chromebook is that it is small, cheap, and has long battery life.. they usually have low powered CPU's and not a lot of RAM.. so performance with Windows won't be good. If you try to use an emulator like Wine on top of ChromeOS you will have even worse performance. So it is really hard to say if it will work at all, you may very well just trash your laptop trying to install windows and be in difficulties getting ChromeOS back on there.

Earlier this year my lady and I were travelling around Japan for two weeks with no car, all public transit, so I wanted a small laptop to take with us and it had to run Windows for my and for her work (just in case) so I looked at getting a chromebook that I could convert to a cheap windows laptop and basically what it came down to is what Pete already said, that Chromebooks are not high spec'd and mostly you are paying for their thin-ness. I ended up getting a used Thinkpad X131e which is a student laptop, schools give them to students.. I put in a 250GB SSD and it had 2G RAM which I increased to 4.. the whole project came out to around $150 including the new SSD. It is not a fast computer but it's more powerful than most ChromeBooks.

The machine I am typing on right now which is an old Thinkpad as well.. T420 sells used also for under $150. I am trying to get a new machine now because I use Rekordbox and this machine barely manages it. Great machine otherwise.

What I suggest is, for any computer you are considering for DJing, find out what exact CPU it has in it and look up the passmark rating.. for example, this machine has an i5-2540M (very old now).. if I search google for that I find the passmark page, here: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php...2.60GHz&id=812

You see it has a total 3782 speed rating with a 1458 single thread speed rating. So, when you shop for machines, look up their CPU's and it'll give you some numbers to compare their processing speeds. Ideally you want something faster than mine for DJ work.. as I said, I'm looking to upgrade now because as much as I love this machine, it can't hack Rekordbox. But Serato is famous for running well on slow machines, so you can try...
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 02-25-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Chromebook is just a modern version of a web browser. (WebTV)
    You would probably need to make an external USB drive the default drive to install Windows 10 & to put your songs on.

My wife bought me one when I was in the hospital, EVERYTHING is cloud-based. A cheap smartphone has more of a computer.
    They have enough RAM and fast enough wi-fi to work great with Hulu, YouTube, Netflix, DJ Forums, etc. But that's about all.

You'd probably have an easier time using Serato with the computer that's installed in your smart TV.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.