Thread: Sound issue Mackie SRM450v3

Sound issue Mackie SRM450v3

Hi

I have a pair of Mackie SRM450v3’s and hooked them up to Mackie Mix8 mixer, I connected my iPhone with a jack to Red/white rca cable into the mixer then used two balanced jack to Xlr cables to connect into each speaker.

I played some music and put both speaker to line on the gain control and both sounded fine, I played music through them for about 30 minutes or so, then after a while I noticed one speaker sounded as if no sound was coming from it, so I turned down the other speaker and the sound from the speaker with no sound sounded as if it was distant/tinny with no bass.

I thought oh no... speaker blown or something.. so I turned off the speaker checked cabling, removed the jack from the mixer running to that speaker and blew in the port and reconnected and everything was fine again....

Could dust or something in the mixer out port cause this issue, as I am worried that while using these speakers to an audience they might end up doing it again.

Thanks

James

Are all the cables new? This sounds like a cable problem to me but it could also be an issue with the speaker or the mixer, try to recreate the problem and if it occurs do a wiggle test on all the cables from the source to the speakers to see where the problem is.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yeah everything is new, it just seemed weird to me that initially both speakers where absolutely fine, then after about 30 minutes or so one of them decided to do that.

I think possibly it was some dirt or something inside the mixer port or on the jack connector from the factory... but it’s just weird that the problem never appeared immediately... but now it’s got me concerned that it would do it again mid-performance which would be a nightmare.