Thread: What A Cliche

What A Cliche

How do everyone, my name is Nathan.

So I've used the free software program, Audacity, very good btw, I added some of the singing from Barbara Streisand's 'Send In The Clowns' to the trance track, Trance Opera 'Sonato d'Oro'. First heard this when Danny Rampling played it on Radio 1 in the mid 90's, absolutely superb track.

I take all criticism well so if you think it's a bag of poo say so.
    [Link removed - KLH]
    Last edited by KLH; 02-15-2020 at 10:11 AM.

We don't allow links to mixes or tracks when an account is new, Nathcc, to cut down on similar posts.

Instead, please tell us about yourself. Do you want to be a DJ or a Producer?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I had a quick listen from behind the scenes.

It's not a bad idea but the execution contains a couple of mistakes. I noticed some occasional key clashes (she sings minor diminished thirds while the track remains in major key) , and the vocals are too loud in the mix. Not bad, but needs a little attention around the edges.

But then you discovered and laid down the basics on how to produce a mashup, so that's the real plus here.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-15-2020 at 10:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    We don't allow links to mixes or tracks when an account is new, Nathcc, to cut down on similar posts.

Instead, please tell us about yourself. Do you want to be a DJ or a Producer?
    There's not much to say?? I have very little musical background, but music is my number one love and sometimes I recognise the idea of a 'mashup' of 2 or more tracks, unfortunately I do not have the equipment for extensive situations but after putting What A Cliche together I thought i'd seek advice on whether to upgrade and take it to a more appropriate level.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I had a quick listen from behind the scenes.

It's not a bad idea but the execution contains a couple of mistakes. I noticed some occasional key clashes (she sings minor diminished thirds while the track remains in major key) , and the vocals are too loud in the mix. Not bad, but needs a little attention around the edges.

But then you discovered and laid down the basics on how to produce a mashup, so that's the real plus here.
    Hi thanks for your input. It is simply her voice, echoed occasionally, on top of the music that was recorded off youtube. The most difficult aspect was altering the voice to coincide with the beats, very time consuming, which is my favourite aspect because it's very uplifting. I understand the principle behind the key clashes but have absolutely no idea how to alter this. Yes, the vocals are too loud early on but okay I thought in the rousing bits?

You did a good job, considering that you used audacity which is limited in what it can do.

Using a proper dedicated software will give you a ton more options to set everything up. As you have already noticed, it can be time consuming when you have less tools at your disposal.

I understand the principle behind the key clashes but have absolutely no idea how to alter this.
    It's something you can do on other software, but overall it's a bit tricky to have minor and major playing at the same time. It is something definitely not beginner when you start using new software. though it could be done.

An alternative is simply to cut the offending bits, and replace that with something else. You can cut and repeat/loop some of the other bits, I'm fairly sure you could fit something in there.

that was recorded off youtube
    That kind of explains why I thought it sounded a bit rough and overcompressed. you will get better sounding results with original uncompressed files.

Good effort overall. If you enjoyed doing that on such a simple bit of editing software, you will like spending time on real DAW software that is more up to the task...
    Last edited by Manu; 02-16-2020 at 09:36 AM.

Thanks Manu, I was also in a rush as my PC is slowly dieing on me lol I may invest in a new one and some proper software as I really do enjoy it.
    What does DAW stand for?

I googled that

digital audio workstation
    A digital audio workstation (DAW) is an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files.