Thread: Mobile DJ Lighting and Setup - Newbie!

Mobile DJ Lighting and Setup - Newbie!

Hello all,

Second time posting on the forum (after my speaker post!) - Thank you in advance for any thoughts and comments.

I'm a beginning mobile DJ, doing everything from small 30 person birthday parties to 50-100 person weddings, up to 200 person teen dances.

My lighting/DJ setup has been a 5ft folding table with a black skirt, then I setup on top of that and sometimes will have a 42" TV in front which shows maybe a slideshow or some graphics. Works ok but not the cleanest look. As far as lights, I have been renting ADJ DOTZ TPAR LED Pars (two trees of 4 lights each) that just randomly change colors and provide wash to the dance floor. While they don't have any effects, they do provide a lot of light and colors to the dance floor.

Looking to kick that up a notch. Looking at purchasing 2 Chauvet GigBar2. Love the idea and the different effects, but after seeing them in person at Guitar Center, just wondering how they perform in a large space as compared to the ADJ setup, the LED lights seem rather wimpy (only 3 LEDs it appears on each light) - so just wondering if two of these gigbar2 systems would hold up for lighting and effects in a large gym?

Next, on my table setup, I found the Mesa ProX XF-MESA MK2 Media booth which looks really nice, allows a TV to be mounted, and can have a truss to mount hopefully both gigbars - Anyone have this setup and can comment on how they like it? link included below.

https://www.idjnow.com/prox-xf-mesa-...yABEgIT7vD_BwE

I think the gigbar2's and this booth would give a pretty professional and clean setup, but looking for opinions and what others might be doing.

Thanks for reviewing!

Dj Joe

Mobile DJ Lighting and Setup - Newbie!

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawgwill View Post
    Hello all,

Second time posting on the forum (after my speaker post!) - Thank you in advance for any thoughts and comments.

I'm a beginning mobile DJ, doing everything from small 30 person birthday parties to 50-100 person weddings, up to 200 person teen dances.

My lighting/DJ setup has been a 5ft folding table with a black skirt, then I setup on top of that and sometimes will have a 42" TV in front which shows maybe a slideshow or some graphics. Works ok but not the cleanest look. As far as lights, I have been renting ADJ DOTZ TPAR LED Pars (two trees of 4 lights each) that just randomly change colors and provide wash to the dance floor. While they don't have any effects, they do provide a lot of light and colors to the dance floor.

Looking to kick that up a notch. Looking at purchasing 2 Chauvet GigBar2. Love the idea and the different effects, but after seeing them in person at Guitar Center, just wondering how they perform in a large space as compared to the ADJ setup, the LED lights seem rather wimpy (only 3 LEDs it appears on each light) - so just wondering if two of these gigbar2 systems would hold up for lighting and effects in a large gym?

Next, on my table setup, I found the Mesa ProX XF-MESA MK2 Media booth which looks really nice, allows a TV to be mounted, and can have a truss to mount hopefully both gigbars - Anyone have this setup and can comment on how they like it? link included below.

https://www.idjnow.com/prox-xf-mesa-...yABEgIT7vD_BwE

I think the gigbar2's and this booth would give a pretty professional and clean setup, but looking for opinions and what others might be doing.

Thanks for reviewing!

Dj Joe
    I’m not really into the lights that much. I have one ADJ Dotz Tpar with 2 Mini Kinta’s on top, and I hang a Chauvet Colorbank fixture on each of my RCF EVOX-8’s. Pretty simple and easy to setup. I think having a couple of moving heads would be nice. All the upper tier DJ’s around here have them. Also, though I think the facade you’re looking at is nice and professional looking, I see a lot of DJ’s moving away from that look and going toward the podium style setup...

I started out with a setup much like yours, but found myself spending way too much time in setup and tear down, so I simplified. Since I work alone, carrying too much gear just does not work for me. It appears to me your going down that road of bigger is better. Unless you can get into that upper tier where you can afford paid assistants, you’ll soon discover bigger is just more expense and more work.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 02-12-2020 at 05:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdawgwill View Post
    No they are more of a small room system IMO.

DJ Bobcat is sounding more like a working DJ now, one starts to look for efficiencies in everything after doing this for a while, but he makes another good point... do you just want to make a sideways move to a "better" version of what you have now or would you prefer to change it up?
    Lighting is the type of thing that looks better with more fixtures and beams so there is some value in using a bunch of smaller less powerful fixtures versus a couple more powerful lights, but once you experience what moving heads can do it's hard to go back to spinning dots. I see lots of DJs that setup a couple moving heads on stand as in the picture above, that looks clean and tidy from a décor point of view but it does a lousy job of lighting the dancefloor partially because it's just 2 points of ight but also because many DJs don't do any DMX programming so the lights are pointed everywhere but the dancefloor most of the time. I like to put moving heads up on a T-bar stand, that works much better at covering the dancefloor and still allows them to do that slow scan of the room that everybody likes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com