Thread: recording audio on iphone 6s with rode trs to trrs adapter

recording audio on iphone 6s with rode trs to trrs adapter

can anyoneone help me im trying to record audio videos on a iphone 6s with the rode trrs adapter but i cant get any sound. i thought it would be plug and play. i have had a look through the settings to see if anything can be changed but cant find anything. i can record audio without the adapter but its really low quality. the adapter is hooked up to the iphone via the record out on my mixer

Thread moved to production / recording

I tried this with Honor 6A using RCA to 3,5mm plug, recorded fine but the sound came out distorted (rec outs are +4dBu iirc independant from master vol, the standard Android Sound Recorder app has no input level trim afaik and the mixer I'm using isn't that great sound quality-wise either) but then again smartphones have poor ADCs I guess.

I tried the same with iPhone when I had one (iPhone 4 if I recall correctly) but faced similar issues and ended up not recording any sets because I didn't remember as there were generally a lot of other things to do.

IIRC, the TRRS adapter allows for stereo out and mono in from the phone. As such, even if you were able to record, it would only be in mono. I suggest using another method like laptop or microrecorder (ex. Tascam DR-05).

-KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    IIRC, the TRRS adapter allows for stereo out and mono in from the phone. As such, even if you were able to record, it would only be in mono.
    Yes I was thinking about this the other day..

Those portable recorders being separate devices from the camera would need a timestamp of some sort (a clapperboard?) or synchronizing the audio (even worse, separate clips of audio&video) with the footage in post would be difficult.