Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serato DVS for beginners VS. vinyl

Serato DVS for beginners VS. vinyl

Hi there-

I haven't DJed in years, and I'd like to get back into it, but I'm not really familiar with the overabundance of options out there. I used to DJ on vinyl only, and then bought CDjs, and now I'm looking to "downsize" and just play vinyl and also try out Serato DVS, and interchange between records and DVS. I guess I'm reaching out on this board, as I don't fully understand how Serato DVS works, and I've never actually tried it out.

If someone would be willing to answer a few of my questions, I'd be so grateful!

Here they are:

1) Does serato DVS work as an emulator of vinyl mixing, but with the use of MP3s(or other audio files). If so, is it comparable to vinyl mixing? What are some differences and pros/cons?
    2) If I buy a mixer with Serato integration, does this suffice for use with a laptop and two turntables as a starting point? Any recommended mixers for this?

Any other tips or information on this would be much appreciated as Serato DVS is a bit abstract for me at this time, and I'm not that technically savvy.

Thanks for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by mista View Post
    1) Does serato DVS work as an emulator of vinyl mixing, but with the use of MP3s(or other audio files). If so, is it comparable to vinyl mixing? What are some differences and pros/cons?
    Yes, yes, and for most Serato enabled mixers you'll need to buy two-time code vinyl. (I think Rane used to include them with their mixers.)

2) If I buy a mixer with Serato integration, does this suffice for use with a laptop and two turntables as a starting point? Any recommended mixers for this?
    Rane SEVENTY-TWO
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

If you still have two turntables and a mixer you can just add a DVS.

The Phase is popular. It doesn't need time-coded vinyl. (Or any vinyl for that matter.)
    Phase will work with Serato soon.
    2:00
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Thanks so much. And is mixing essentially the same, in terms of cuing, and "reaction time". I guess my main concern is that digital Djing might be clunky, but it sounds like it would be comparable to regular records. I'm assuming interchanging between a record and DVS would be pretty easy as well?
    Thanks for the help and insight!!

Thanks so much. And is mixing essentially the same, in terms of cuing, and "reaction time". I guess my main concern is that digital Djing might be clunky, but it sounds like it would be comparable to regular records. I'm assuming interchanging between a record and DVS would be pretty easy as well?
    Thanks for the help and insight!!
    Yes it is comparable. Clunkiness may occur if your computer is underspeced.
    Interchanging between normal vinyl and dvs is not always straight forward. If you use a mixer with integrated soundcard then it is, if you add external soundcard then you must reach to a menu to switch, in which case the vinyl plays thru the computer/soundcard. To avoid this you may try different routing of the tt signal which involves more cables, a switch per tt and maybe a phono preamp per tt (this is the more complicated scenario rarely used as djs don't care about sound of vinyl).
    Try the free mixxx.org or the $1.8 per month djplayerpro.com to see if you like dvs. The latter works on iphone/pod/pad.
    Dvs works with cdjs too.
    Last edited by stomp; 02-01-2020 at 01:07 PM.

Hi Stomp-

Thanks so much for your response. I was thinking of getting this pretty basic, no-frills serato mixer: https://www.long-mcquade.com/93163/P...-Serato-DJ.htm which has an integrated soundcard so I guess this would be the way to go. I guess the only other thing to buy would be the two time code vinyl....

Does it have to be Serato?

I don't think so? I guess this is all I'm familiar with...What would be another good option? I basically just want to be able to mix vinyl and DVS as seamlessly as possible. I don't need tons of fx, EQs, etc. Thanks again for all the help!

AFAIS you just want to mix digital files just like if you have them on vinyl, no software tricks, just a-b mixing. Then you don't necessarily need Serato nor any of the other big software names like Traktor or Rekordbox, you can do that with the mentioned mixx and djplayer pro, or even a raspberry computer, see pideck.com

It is important to make the choice of software first because not all hardware works with all dvs software. Serato is most closed at the moment, while Traktor officialy works with any dvs capable soundcard/mixer. Also Rekordbox but unofficially.

That DJM S3 mixer is the very same with DJM 250mk2 which works with Rekordbox but is $200 cheaper. It may also work with Traktor probably but needs a check as Pioneer may limit some of their dvs mixers to work only with Rekordbox.

Cheapest option at the linked store afais would be this:
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/74273/P...uction-Run.htm
    +
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/94787/P...-Interface.htm

Not the best mixer but should work ok and most importantly allows for easy switch with dvs. Has innofader for scratching, which is good. You get a separate soundcard which you can use in other configurations. Would work with most dvs software except for Serato and probably Rekordbox. Note that you should check before you buy as the soundcard has only line inputs but I think the mixer dvs outputs are also line and it should work.

For Serato check the Numark Scratch.

Too bad they don't have the Xone 23c which imo is the best in this price level.
    Last edited by stomp; 02-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.

Thanks for your help, Stomp. This is all very useful. IF I do go the serato route, would the mixer I linked to be fine for accomplishing basic vinyl mixing and DVS and interchangeability between the two? Thanks again.