Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Technics 1210 mk7 ..quick review!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I don't think Sansui has been worth a mention since the 80s... Same for Kenwood,
    Yeah the 1970s was their last decade for good gear for both companies. Although I did pick up a 5-way Kenwood bookshelf speaker in the 1980s that was only sold in Japan that was probably better than any of the similar speakers on the market at the time from Pioneer, Sony, Technics, Yamaha, Hitachi, Onkyo, and similar. Usually included with their complete component hi-fi systems (rack systems) that were popular in the 1970s and 1980s.
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-kl-a900x.882/
    Marketing called the 15" woofers 17" because they were measuring the surround instead of the cone.

BTW
    when I googled for vintage hi-fi brands I came across this.
    The Most Powerful Vintage Receivers of All Time
    1. Technics SA-1000 – 330 WPC
    2. Marantz 2600 – 300 WPC
    3. Sansui G-33000 – 300 WPC
    4. Pioneer SX-1980 – 270 WPC
    5. Marantz 2500 – 250 WPC
    6. Sansui G-22000 – 220 WPC
    7. Sansui G-9700 – 200 WPC
    8. Kenwood KR-9050 – 200 WPC
    9. Hitachi SR-2004 – 200 WPC
    10. Marantz 2385 – 185 WPC
    11. Pioneer SX-1280 – 185 WPC
    12. Technics SA-5770 – 185 WPC

I owned three from that list 1, 6, and 8. I must have let wattage specs influence my buying habits too much back then.

The Technics SA-1000 is what made me a big Technics fanboy during the 1970s and 1980s.
    My all-time favorite hi-fi amplifier I've owned was a Technics (*100-watts x 2) integrated amp from the 1980s that they called a class AAA amp.

*110?
    Last edited by Windows 95; 04-15-2020 at 10:09 AM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Thing is, all those are more or less obsolete as per modern standards, especially on power consumption and features, class A amps are just not power efficient by design, they will suck energy from the moment they're on, regardless of being used, class AB is a bit of a energy saving bastard thing that just doesn't deliver sound quality at low levels. That technics amp is a maintenance nightmare (they all need fixing at this point in time), seen one taken apart. It's something for vintage enthusiasts I suppose, but expect those to come with extra costs attached.

I never paid much attention to watts, that's just numbers for those who look at numbers as a quality point of reference, very influenced back in the day by the American way of bigger is better. It's the other details that are impressive, monster transformer, enormous value capacitors to boot, great dynamics and awesome S/N ratio. On the other hand, puny heatsinks, questionable, flimsy build quality, simple amp class AB design. To me it belongs in an area when engineers tried to squeeze every watt out, because bigger numbers would sell more on the American market. Those were never released in UK/Europe. All that said, it must have impressed a lot of people back in the day.

I still have a vintage AAA Technics amp, but I don't use it anymore, I keep it as sentimental value. Reason being I have something that runs 7.1 at 120 per channel + 240 sub, upgraded onboard DAC for digital everything and a remote control, and is also able to output some real time simulated 7.1 from any source. It will rattle the teeth out of your mouth when pushed.

Technics used to make some top of the line products, not so much these days or at a premium. There are too many brands these days that are choices worth considering.
    Last edited by Manu; 04-15-2020 at 11:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    S/N ratio.
    Those were the two things I notice most in the 70s & 80s, watts and dB rating. Anything under 25 watts was too weak and anything over ±0.025 was too noisy.

As efficient as speakers were back then, amplifier wattage made almost no real-world difference. If an amplifier could put out 25 watts cleanly you speakers could probably go as loud as you wanted them.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 04-15-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Although I did pick up a 5-way Kenwood bookshelf speaker
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index....-kl-a900x.882/
    Marketing called the 15" woofers 17" because they were measuring the surround instead of the cone.
    In Kenwood's defense it was common for marketing to count the speakers instead of the speaker crossovers.

That KL-A900 was either woofer/low midrange/high midrange/tweeter/super tweeter.
    Or woofer/midrange/low tweeter/high tweeter/super tweeter.

Super tweeters were 100% audiophile voodoo. They were normally in the 20KHz - 40KHz range or the 25KHz - 50KZ range.
    So something almost nobody could hear. Just a driver taking up space for no real reason.

Over here they have had only one hifi amp or two that were regarded as worthy of note, but nothing to rival the higher range stuff. Otherwise it was middle range consumer products. In the hifi world, the competition killed them. The UK produces a lot of superior hifi product, no regular consumer hifi gets close to the level of quality.

Over here Kenwood is mostly remembered for car radios that were good for the money, back from the 90s when a good car stereo was extremely expensive, and that's about it. Same era when Technics started making new generations of amps that didn't sound that great. My dad has one of those, paid a pretty penny and it sounds terrible. Later on, they reverted a lot back onto Panasonic, for more general consumer products and all in one hifi not really hifi all in one systems/DVD players home cinema things with cheap nasty speakers.
    Last edited by Manu; 04-16-2020 at 11:50 AM.