Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Technics 1210 mk7 ..quick review!

I presently own 9 Technics turntables. I have bought and sold many turntables in my 40 years of DJing, and I have never checked to see how accurate the pitch control is with Serato, or Traktor on any of my turntables. As long as the pitch control acts right, I'm good. Just use the turntables and quit worrying about it. Or send them back and buy some refurbished mk2's.

My 3 decade old 1210mk2s does everything it is expected to do, pitch is rock solid as in I have locked two records together and they stayed locked until the end. I don't see how any other model of any other turntable can better perfection.

The clear difference, is RCA out as opposed to fixed cables that will inevitably break and need repairing.

the pitch slider its self isnt aligned/zero'd correctly
    Platter Dots [...] are not straight and as the platter spins they look wavy
    Unacceptable in that price range. I would be back in the shop, I would ask replacements that I would try before taking home, refund if they are unable to do that.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-03-2020 at 09:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Ok, so you get 8 at 7.5. Where do you get 7, 6, 5 etc? Is 0 at 0? What about the strobe dots readout as explained here:
    https://www.manualslib.com/manual/16...page=20#manual
    Values 6.4, +3.3 and -3.3?
    Hiya Stomp

yeah thats correct, i get 8 @ 7.5

0 is at 0 ..not sure on the rest but next time i hook it up i will check the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    My 3 decade old 1210mk2s does everything it is expected to do, pitch is rock solid as in I have locked two records together and they stayed locked until the end. I don't see how any other model of any other turntable can better perfection.

The clear difference, is RCA out as opposed to fixed cables that will inevitably break and need repairing.

Unacceptable in that price range. I would be back in the shop, I would ask replacements that I would try before taking home, refund if they are unable to do that.
    aye im a little dissapointed with the dots issue to be honest considering the price of these decks, im guessing Quality Control is out the window! im going to give the shop a ring to see what they say & also going to give technics a ring regarding the pitch issue!

Can you shoot a short video of the dot issue so we can see how bad they are. Either the platter is not exactly flat, or the whole is not drilled straight, or the dots where not machined straight, or the bearing is loose. Take the platter off and make sure the center bearing screws are tight. I don't know about the mk7, but on the older 1200's, the center bearing is held on by 3 screws, and sometimes they get loose which makes the platter wobble. As far as the pitch, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you was playing vinyl, you wouldn't know you had a problem. Serato is not a trouble shooting tool for your pitch control. I don't know how accurate it is. I talked to the Tech at Kabusa yesterday, and he hasn't seen a mk7 yet, but he did say the pitch control is controlled by software. So if it doesn't go to 8%, it probably needs a firmware update to bring it up to 8%.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    Take the platter off and make sure the center bearing screws are tight.
    Not approachable on the mk7 as on on mk2, different construction.

the dots where not machined straight
    It's this, but I think it's been seen in the past with the old models also, maybe less frequently.

So if it doesn't go to 8%, it probably needs a firmware update to bring it up to 8%
    Can you check your m5g's for this? It's been reported that not only all new Technics have that problem, but also the m5g. Thing is they do have the 8 range but it's at 7 or 7.5. The scale seems to be narrower between 6 and 7.5. Below 6 everything is as marked.
    Last edited by stomp; 02-04-2020 at 03:58 PM.

I just checked on my M5G's, I have the gold ones hooked up at the moment, but they are just gold plated M5G's. I am also using Traktor. With the pitch control at +8% on the turntable, Traktor is reporting it is running exactly at +8. Same thing if I put it at -8%. Same thing if I switch it to +16% or -16%. Traktor is saying it is perfect. I also checked at 2%, 4%, 6%, and it is spot on there too. As far as the dots. The dots on my gold M5G's are machined perfectly, no wobble what so ever. My mk2's dots do wobble a tiny bit, and my mk2's are mint. Just for grins, I checked the dots on my original 1200 mk1, and those dots are machined perfectly too, no wobble.

Nice looking mk7's by the way. I wouldn't have a problem buying a pair of those. As far as the pitch, it is either a mk7 thing, or a Serato thing. Check yours with Traktor if you have it and see if you get the same results. It might be a Serato problem.

With the pitch control at +8% on the turntable, Traktor is reporting it is running exactly at +8. Same thing if I put it at -8%.
    I also checked at 2%, 4%, 6%, and it is spot on there too.
    What about when moving between 6 and 7? There's the problem. The pitch is normal from 0 to 6 meaning 1 is 1, 2 is 2 etc, but after the slider passes 6 the scale gets narrower and when it reaches 7 (or 7.5) that is already 8 in reality. Moving towards 8 does not change the speed further, it stays 8. So when you measure you have to check this particular section between 6-7-8. In other words: does 8 begin at 7? If you just slide it directly to 8 it will show 8 of course, but you won't notice if the problem is there.

Explained here, at 12:57
    https://youtu.be/vAnJjRnAR5A?t=777
    Last edited by stomp; 02-04-2020 at 07:53 PM.

Can you shoot a short video of the dot issue so we can see how bad they are. Either the platter is not exactly flat, or the whole is not drilled straight, or the dots where not machined straight, or the bearing is loose. Take the platter off and make sure the center bearing screws are tight. I don't know about the mk7, but on the older 1200's, the center bearing is held on by 3 screws, and sometimes they get loose which makes the platter wobble. As far as the pitch, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. If you was playing vinyl, you wouldn't know you had a problem. Serato is not a trouble shooting tool for your pitch control. I don't know how accurate it is. I talked to the Tech at Kabusa yesterday, and he hasn't seen a mk7 yet, but he did say the pitch control is controlled by software. So if it doesn't go to 8%, it probably needs a firmware update to bring it up to 8%.
    Hi Panotaker

Yeah to be honest i wouldn't have noticed the pitch issue if i hadn't read about it which lead me to give mine a test using traktor, the pitch does goto 8%, but the issue (if it is one!?) is the pitch hits 8% when the actual pitch slider is at 7.5% ..so when i move the slider any further (from 7.5% to 8%) it does nothing as the pitch is already at 8% (hope that makes sense!).

But like i say, i definately would not have noticed this issue & it was only because i did a lot of reading up on the mk7's before purchasing that some people had this issue, I have to say though the pitch its self is spot on & stays locked whatever it's on, the timing is 100%!

Heres a vid of the "dots" issue..
    https://youtu.be/GYflgBsmxhk

Hopefully you can see what i mean about the "wave" effect on the dots, but it isnt the shape of the platter as the silver line top & bottom of dots is 100% straight, its only the actual dots.. as i mentioned earlier, it has no effect all on my use/mixing, its purely a cosmetic thing, but for me it is annoying considering the price this is something that has not been checked!

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    What about when moving between 6 and 7? There's the problem. The pitch is normal from 0 to 6 meaning 1 is 1, 2 is 2 etc, but after the slider passes 6 the scale gets narrower and when it reaches 7 (or 7.5) that is already 8 in reality. Moving towards 8 does not change the speed further, it stays 8. So when you measure you have to check this particular section between 6-7-8. In other words: does 8 begin at 7? If you just slide it directly to 8 it will show 8 of course, but you won't notice if the problem is there.

Explained here, at 12:57
    https://youtu.be/vAnJjRnAR5A?t=777
    Hi Stomp

6 & 7 is all good, its all as should be until i reach 7.5% (the display in traktor then shows its actually running at 8%), im not moving the pitch fader fast, just in small increments when i was testing it.

Next time i hook it up to my comp (i dont have a laptop yet! thats next on shopping list so at mo im taking my PC through to other room where decks are to hook it up lol!) i will record a video of what happens nex time i set it up with DVS ....will probably be sometime @ weekend