Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Technics 1210 mk7 ..quick review!

So basically they are saying the quality of the new version isn't as good as the older ones and they're fine with that.

Too bad you are out of luck with these. You say that it looks like a cheap knock off when spinning...But what are the alternatives? Getting the real knock off, like Reloop? They also have such issues reported. That's the unpleasant reality we live in. The quality is not there as it used to be. Hope the other pair of platters is fine. About the mk7 pitch issue I tend to believe there's "science" behind it, as it is present since m5g.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Too bad you are out of luck with these. You say that it looks like a cheap knock off when spinning...But what are the alternatives? Getting the real knock off, like Reloop? They also have such issues reported. That's the unpleasant reality we live in. The quality is not there as it used to be. Hope the other pair of platters is fine. About the mk7 pitch issue I tend to believe there's "science" behind it, as it is present since m5g.
    Yeh very true, i will probably stick with them as other than this platter issue, i really do like them, but sticking by what i said in terms of ever buying anything from those brands again purely because of the manner in the way this was dealt with! In worse scenario i will get the platter professionally resprayed which i guess wont be cheap! And if i do i will record another video of it being perfect that i will send technics and ask them where the "optical illusion" is now! 🙁

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by tizdaz; 02-13-2020 at 03:56 PM.

If the dots are machine wrong, they are all probably going to have the same problem, but if it is just over spray of the black spray paint over the dots, then it is a simple fix. Just get some aluminum polish and a rag, and shine up the dots to get the over spray off. Once you get the over spray off, which should just take a few minutes, the dots should be straight. The over spray makes more sense, than the dots being machined wrong. With the state of the art CNC machines they have now, I find it hard to believe that the dots are machined wrong. They probably have over spray on them from not getting the over spray off after they paint them.

Personally, if the dots are machined wrong, it wouldn't bather me, since I never sit there and look at the dots when I'm mixing. I rather have the mk7's than any other new turntable. But if I had the cash, I was just buy some used, restored mk2's, mk3D's, or mk5s.

Quote Originally Posted by tizdaz View Post
    In worse scenario i will get the platter professionally resprayed which i guess wont be cheap! And if i do i will record another video of it being perfect that i will send technics and ask them where the "optical illusion" is now!
    This is confusing and I don't get it. You think that the dot's are actually well aligned but the paint on them is not even and it breaks the light at a different angles so it results in wave effect? So if you respray them evenly it would eliminate it? Makes sense, in which case the phrase "optical illusion" used by CS is actually ok.
    Panotaker mentions possibility of over spray, which also makes sense and points in the same direction that the dots are actually well aligned but it's their surface that causes the wave effect.

On the other hand we have this video where the guy measures the distance between the dots and it shows different distances = misaligned dots. However, not sure if he is taking the measurement/using the tool correctly. For example, he was not able to figure out the proper way of activating the reverse, lol: claims you have to push 3 buttons (33, 45 and start) but actually it takes pushing only the lit speed button and the start button, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    Did you end up buying some mk7's? If you did, how does the mk7 react when you press on the platter, does it jerk like a mk2, or does it slow down smoothly like an SL-1100A. Let me know.
    Will certainly let you know if that happens, but currently it's not in the plans. I think you'll lay your hands on them before I do.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    This is confusing and I don't get it. You think that the dot's are actually well aligned but the paint on them is not even and it breaks the light at a different angles so it results in wave effect? So if you respray them evenly it would eliminate it? Makes sense, in which case the phrase "optical illusion" used by CS is actually ok.
    Panotaker mentions possibility of over spray, which also makes sense and points in the same direction that the dots are actually well aligned but it's their surface that causes the wave effect.

On the other hand we have this video where the guy measures the distance between the dots and it shows different distances = misaligned dots. However, not sure if he is taking the measurement/using the tool correctly. For example, he was not able to figure out the proper way of activating the reverse, lol: claims you have to push 3 buttons (33, 45 and start) but actually it takes pushing only the lit speed button and the start button, no?
    Hi stomp,

To be honest It's impossible to tell if the dots are machined incorrectly or whether its over spray, the only way to find that out would be to completely strip the paint off so the platter is back to its raw state but I'm not doing that just yet! But I can say that the current state of my platter is the dots are not straight as they should be & do have a wave have effect, it is definitely not an illusion as it doesn't matter from what angle you look at them (even with the deck stopped) you can clearly see that the gaps between each are inconsistent & the dots vary in size along the same line. I was going to polish the surface of the dots last night, but after looking at them again, there is no way I would be able to do it as I would need to be careful not to scrub of the black spray/paint in-between the dots or it will just look a mess! So I decided not to do it.

I spoke to the shop again today & they are going to get some video of the other set of mk7's they have in store and send it to me, so I can decide if its worth to exchange. If not then as I mentioned, I will pay to have the platters professionally re-sprayed.

I've watched around 4 or 5 videos including from one from a guy who is on youtube just technics https://www.youtube.com/user/DeejayN...=dd&shelf_id=1) & also runs a business repairing/servicing/modding 1210's etc, he also says that the platters are VERY badly machined & he actually sent his deck back and got a refund, but i really dont want to get a refund as like ive said all along the actual deck for me is spot on except for this issue so will see what happens

@Panotaker the platter does not jerk when you press on it, I think the issue with mk2's etc was the motor causing clogging (although my MK2s never clogged) but with the MK7 the motor is coreless so eliminates this. Also, with the MK7's I'm sure you know about the adjustable torque setting, well the default of this setting is low & that's how I like it so leaving it, but ive read that if you turn it up to max its VERY strong so this could cause a clogging effect if you press on the platter while in motion with torque setting high.

just another quick update,

Technics have said to a customer via email (so it's in writing) that they are aware of the pitch issue (dead spot) & are working to resolve it! ...so there maybe a recall for those of us who have this prob or there maybe a software update made available via the usb/service link under the platter?

But if Technics have said they are aware of the issue & working on a fix this is as them admitting that this is a problem. Time will tell i guess

hi guys!

just spoke to shop via phone call about the platter & the other set they have in the shop he said there is a noticeable difference & the ones they have there the platters are as they should be! ..so hes sending me a vid shortly to show me...so looks like i be getting a pair of decks with the platters as they should be!

So it seems the platters on the mk7's are hit & miss.. some good, some bad. Kind of proves that:

a) Technics/Panasonic are full of c@p saying its an "Optical Illusion"
    b) Quality Control is VERY poor @ the Technics factory.

Im more disgusted with the way Technics dealt with this when I rang them. There Customer Support is shocking considering the size of the company & the products it sells, as I said earlier I will never be buying any product from Technics/Panasonic again purely because of there Customer Service, to me Customer Service is what seperates a good company from a bad company, needless to say what category Technics/Panasonic falls into as of recent times ..Just a shadow of what it once was.

What I would suggest is for anyone thinking of buying a pair of mk7's...save yourself a headache & visit shop in person & inspect the platters before handing over your hard earned cash.

ok here's vid of the other platter from the set that i'm exchanging mine for, ive posted my original video of my current platter & the vid below that is one that the shop have sent me of the decks Im exchanging mine for, as you can see there is a BIG difference in the dot matrix.. This is what Technics say is an "Optical Illusion" lol

My current platter:

New Platter: