Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Dual DTJ301.1 USB

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    7

    Dual DTJ301.1 USB

    Hello everybody!

    TGun here, a complete beginner to the world of DJ ing, and I'd like to start off with a cheap, affordable build so I can try out whether I can get into it, or its something I am not really designed for hehe. Anyways, I saw a very affordable piece of turntables here:

    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0076Z72RQ/...3J06GXGNX&th=1

    Since I've 0 experience on DJing yet however, and how all of the hardware is put together, I'd like some more information if anybody can provide (I'd be extremely grateful btw). What mainly bothers me is not whether this is a good turntable or not, Im sure it'll be fine for me. What the issue is, is how do I set it up to work? Here's what I want to do:

    I want to be running a laptop with Virtual DJ on it (already have the license), and connect it to:

    2 × turntables (preferably the ones above, if it'll work?)
    1 × mixer (mainly for the cross-fader, but also for volume and knob tweaking ofcourse)

    I plan on purchasing the serato digital vinyl, that's supposed to make me able to play files from the computer on the vinyl directly if I'm not mistaken (since I dont own any vinyls). The question is - what do I need? Can I do it? What do I plug where?

    I may be extremely wrong here, so sorry if I am lol, but from what I understand you plug the two turntables into the mixer (through what cable do I do that btw? RCA?) to connect it. Fine. Now how do I make the music from the laptop play on the turntables? And how do I connect the mixer to the computer?


    Sorry, I have so many questions lol, but Im really lost here and want to get something going.


    Kind regards,
    TGun!

  2. #2
    Moderator pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    old orléans
    Posts
    1,997
    I don't know if Virtual DJ will recognise two of these USB turntables plugged into it and read the timecode.

    Usually there has to be an interface between your record players [with timecode vinyl] and the computer.
    This is a soundcard specifically for DJs.
    It will need phono inputs from your record players (with the phono preamps inside) and then connect via USB to your laptop.
    The soundcard will also have RCA outputs at line level to your mixer.

    To make things more confusing there are some mixers which have all of this built in. So you plug in your record players and a USB connection goes to your laptop. These cost around 500 EUR.

    The cheapest way to get into this without buying record players is a via a all in one controller. Probably second hand. Costing around 200 EUR.

    The cheapest way to get into this with record players is to buy a cheap generic interface and a cheap mixer. Probably costing you a total of 500-600 EUR including the record players.
    Last edited by pete; 01-21-2020 at 04:43 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I don't know if Virtual DJ will recognise two of these USB turntables plugged into it and read the timecode.

    Usually there has to be an interface between your record players [with timecode vinyl] and the computer.
    This is a soundcard specifically for DJs.
    It will need phono inputs from your record players (with the phono preamps inside) and then connect via USB to your laptop.
    The soundcard will also have RCA outputs at line level to your mixer.

    To make things more confusing there are some mixers which have all of this built in. So you plug in your record players and a USB connection goes to your laptop. These cost around 500 EUR.

    The cheapest way to get into this without buying record players is a via a all in one controller. Probably second hand. Costing around 200 EUR.

    The cheapest way to get into this with record players is to buy a cheap generic interface and a cheap mixer. Probably costing you a total of 500-600 EUR including the record players.

    Thanks alot for your input guys, its much appreciated!

    I realise that CDJs and controllers are generally a much cheaper, and also much simpler alternative (since its pretty much plug'n'play), but I really love the feeling of proper turntables, and since I mostly plan on DJing hip hop music, I will need something I can decently scratch with aswell.

    So, long story short, if I understand correctly, the general idea of how to plug these things together is:

    1. Plug an external sound card into my laptop (through USB connection I assume, since I saw a lot of USB soundcards being sold)
    2. Plug both of my turntables into the soundcard through the phono output
    3. Plug the mixer into the soundcard through the RCA outputs

    And now my laptop (virtual DJ for example) should recognise turntable movements (e.g. scratching), and crossfader movements (from the mixer), aswell as play the sound through the laptop speakers (unless specified differently)?


    My budget is actually around 600€ for the hardware. I have the Virtual DJ license yes, so that will not be an issue.

    Thanks again for all your help and support!


    Kind regards,
    TGun



    EDIT:

    I assume something along these lines is how Id put it all together:

    Last edited by tgun750; 01-29-2020 at 03:32 AM.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    249
    First you need the Virtual DJ license that allows you to use timecode vinyl. As I see here it's the PRO license https://www.virtualdj.com/products/virtualdj/price.html
    Do you have it?
    Also, what's your total budget?

  5. #5
    Deez Beats! KLH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    In your head
    Posts
    7,533
    In addition to what's been written above, the Dual DTJ301.1 USB TTs are belt-driven, not direct drive. Most prefer direct-drive TTs. While DJing can be done on belt-driven TTs, advanced techniques (i.e. scratching) is much harder to do.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

  6. #6
    Moderator pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    old orléans
    Posts
    1,997
    Yes correct.

    The timecode vinyl is analysed by the computer through the soundcard and that tells the computer where you are on the tracks that are playing.
    The computer then sends the sound from that part of the track through the soundcard to your mixer, so you can mix tracks together.

    2 Dj turntables and a mixer for 600EUR is possible on the second hand market. Buying new would get you bargain basement equipment that you will probably grow out of quickly and have problems reselling.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    249
    1. The Duals are not good. You can't achieve what you want with them. Show us where you shop to check the alternatives.
    2. You need a soundcard with no less than 4 inputs and 4 outputs. It must have phono inputs in case your turntable has no line outs, only phono.

    Do you use a Mac or PC?

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Slovenia
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    1. The Duals are not good. You can't achieve what you want with them. Show us where you shop to check the alternatives.
    2. You need a soundcard with no less than 4 inputs and 4 outputs. It must have phono inputs in case your turntable has no line outs, only phono.

    Do you use a Mac or PC?
    Just to be clear - by 4 ins and 4 outs, you mean 4 lefts and 4 rights right? So technically 8 input and 8 output plugs? Does the ESI MAYA44 USB soundcard work for that? From what Ive read thats the general "entry level" soundcard DJs like to go with?

    Regards,
    TGun

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    249
    Quote Originally Posted by tgun750 View Post
    Just to be clear - by 4 ins and 4 outs, you mean 4 lefts and 4 rights right? So technically 8 input and 8 output plugs? Does the ESI MAYA44 USB soundcard work for that? From what Ive read thats the general "entry level" soundcard DJs like to go with?

    Regards,
    TGun
    It means 4 inputs = 2 per deck, one left one right
    and
    4 outputs = 2 per deck, one left one right

    Maya is even pointed by Virtual DJ as one that works with it:
    https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Timec...uirements.html
    Not much choice of such soundcards, the rest come with software and are 3-4 times the price of Maya.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    249
    Unbeatable:
    https://www.recordcase.de/en/epsilon...ber=0020109967
    Funny, it's 10 euros cheaper if bought separately, ask them why, maybe the bundle has needles included.
    Soundcard https://www.thomann.de/gb/esi_maya_44_usb.htm

    Check around for possible even cheaper offers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a