Thread: Bar night ideas.

Bar night ideas.

Damn,

Been 4 years since I logged in.
    So I haven't really been bedroom djing at all for years.
    I manage a retail joint that just recently opened a bar. The community is the artist/ hipster crowd so the bands we bring in sat/sun are punky. Normal band stuff. Jazz band on fridays.

I would like to dj a slower night like mon/tues/wed/thurs. potentially a fri/sat if I can pull the crowds. Electronic music is my thing but dj'ing anything just to get my feet wet in ok

So my question is, what would you guys do if you just started managing a bar and you were a dj/producer with OK skills?
    There's a big university close by.

Quote Originally Posted by tekno_violet View Post
    what would you guys do if you just started managing a bar and you were a dj/producer with OK skills?
    Quit... because you can't do both at the same time well. Managing a bar is a full time job. Dj/producer is also a full time job.

The question itself is too general, it would depend entirely on the area, what music is popular is extremely localised, outside of the general pop that anyone can play.

If this is the case and doing well
    The community is the artist/ hipster crowd so the bands we bring in sat/sun are punky. Normal band stuff. Jazz band on fridays.
    Then your not the guy for it
    Electronic music is my thing
    it's not something you can fake and just do, you have to know your shit.
    but dj'ing anything just to get my feet wet in ok

Also, if you're the manager and the DJ. You've just halved your potential crowd. Your mates and the DJ's mates. Be 1 or the other. Manage and have a few mixes or DJ, offer advice to the manager.

If you have an assistant manger, let him manage on the slow nights while you DJ.......... if you're insistent on doing that. Then you can manage when you have busy nights & a band etc. When I was in a bar, The manager & I (Assit Mgr) were both the DJ's. We'd swap out nights either being the DJ or managing.

As for music, you need to play the music for the crowd you want to attract. However, I suggest playing music for the crowd you already have. IMHO, you're gonna confuse your customers by swapping up the music from night to night. Find, or decide on the crowd you want (usually, the ones with money to spend), & cater to them.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

If it's just one night a week, you can do both unless the venue is exceptionally large. Given the current lineup, if it were me I'd shoot for late night Fridays after the jazz band. I think that's the best chance of it working, and late isn't all that bad for a DJ - and even has it's positives.

Open format. And keep an open mind. Do not go into this with an agenda!

If you want it to work.