Thread: Sony PS-LX2 ok for Scratching?

Sony PS-LX2 ok for Scratching?

Hi everybody,

So I recently came across a working Sony PS-LX2. A neighbor had put it out on the sidewalk with their old stereo setup. Everything down to the arm and semi-automatic controls seem to be in good condition, all it needs is a new cartridge and stylus. I've got a decent belt drive USB turntable that I use for sampling and listening, however I've always been interested in scratching over my production. I've been making music for a while now but am pretty much a novice when it comes to DJing. I've worked out some beginner scratching techniques on friends' decks in the past though.

Would this Sony, assuming it works alright, be suitable to use for my studio purposes? And if so, I'd appreciate any suggestions on a good replacement cartridge and needle. I'm looking into getting a cheap mixer as well. This is just hobbyist stuff right now so I'd prefer to keep things under $100 if possible. Thanks!

The platter is probably [certainly] not stable enough for scratching. Not worth investing in a stylus for this deck.
    May be OK for listening / sampling.
    Mixer and cartridge for 100 bucks? Not really possible unless you find a sweet deal.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    The platter is probably [certainly] not stable enough for scratching. Not worth investing in a stylus for this deck.
    May be OK for listening / sampling.
    Mixer and cartridge for 100 bucks? Not really possible unless you find a sweet deal.
    Ah ok, just looking at the platter when I found it, I had a feeling, given every other turntable I've seen used for scratching, that it might not be up to the job. Oh well. But thank you, this was exactly the info I needed. Also, I meant I was looking for a cheap, sub $100 cartridge in addition to the cheap mixers I had already found.

Anyway, guess I'll just save my money and invest in a decent and affordable table. Thank you!

You're welcome.

Many years ago I had a Sony turntable much like this with small pitch control that I used to mix against a tape player.
    Wasn't any good for DJing, as such, but I enjoyed myself with it before I got some decks.

Wish I still had that deck, hang onto yours anyway.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by nt1992 View Post
    So I recently came across a working Sony PS-LX2.
    I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it. It was what came with a lower-priced ($800 - $1,200 or about $2,000 - $3,000 in today's dollars) hi-fi system in a box. (Closer to 10 boxes in reality.) Very basic turntable & the direct drive motor is as weak as a belt-drive, so not really practical for scratching.

Since you are in the USA you should be able to find a similar turntable with a decent cart and needle for about $20 at a thrift shop or garage sale.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.