Thread: New DJ doing Weekly Local Nightclub Gigs.

New DJ doing Weekly Local Nightclub Gigs.

So my local nightclub basically took on new ownership. They were looking for DJ's to do every saturday night, they had 1 guy but he was expensive and he is usually busy doing wedding and such... He is experienced, I am not. I started out as a favor doing a couple gigs to fill in, people seemed to like my music even though my transitions and techniques were very poor, I played mostly 90s and early 2000's music my first few gigs using Virtual DJ and I killed it. So I figured if this was going to be a regular thing I needed to invest in the hobby/profession. So I ordered myself a DDJ-400 controller and got my license on Virtual DJ, also subscribed to a DJ pool which turned out to be lackluster at best for acquiring music. So I did a few more gigs (about 6-7 at this point.) and slowly it seemed the crowds got more impatient, more needy and wanted different music I wasn't familiar with. So I learned from this and started downloading reggea stuff like Sean Paul and Pitbull to play mid-way into the end of the night, this seemed to work well my transitions were on point I was learning more and more about dj'ing and I was finally building and remembering my library, things seemed good... until my last few gigs.

All the people wanted to hear was newish songs that I'd never heard of, most of my crowd was in their early 20's (21-24) and did not know or like most of my 90's/2000 music. It was all over the place from people wanting 80's music to 2000 music to new and old dance music. Songs like "Dance Monkey." and "Billy Jean." and "Iggy - Started." now I had billy jean and I knew of Dance monkey but I never pictured it to be on my playlist, some people were complaining but the bar staff seemed to think I did fine. But this was very discouraging... It made me not want to DJ anymore, the stress of people not dancing, negative critcism and such a varied age group, I had no idea how to read the crowd or what songs to play I started to panic.

I know most of what DJ'ing is, is reading your crowd, but in my position what would you do? I need some advice before I do my next gig. Also maybe some recommendations for songs that girls like dancing to that might kill it at the club? Also any recommendations for DJ pools or placed to acquire music? I've been watching tutorials and will/am improving my techniques and transitions, that's not the issue. Right now it's my library... Reading crowds and what to do when everyone wants something different?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

^^^ Welcome to DJ'ing. There is no substitute for experience. Difficult crowds are where you learn the most. It's like in the martial arts, in sparring if you're winning you're not learning anything. Always spar with a better fighter.

That all being said, good to bring it in here for a sounding board. I started 40+ years ago and worked through some difficult times with regard to crowds. Fraternity house gigs can be tough, but really the clubs are the toughest. If you can do club work successfully and with consistency, you can do anything.

"Reading crowds and what to do when everyone wants something different?" That's the deal in some club work, the crowd can change from night to night. What to do? Adapt and overcome. Some clubs are consistent, some are not. In some clubs the crowd changes throughout the night. Some clubs are very consistent.

I don't play anymore, have guys handle that aspect - Today I own the gear and contracts, setup and such. My start was as a basic 23 year old rocker, that liked some of the dance music. I did a variety of gigs - fashion shows, retirement parties, wedding receptions, dances in halls for women's clubs, motorcycle gang dances, rodeo's, gay coronation events, corporate parties and a few club gigs. Also did some club installs, and lease deals.

This reminds me of a gig I did in the early days. Was opening DJ for a pal that was in a Funk band. Played the band through my PA, and I played between sets. I also opened the night, 8pm I was setup and it was show time - no band anywhere and my roadie and I were the only two of one color, and crowd was a different color if you will. Played about 3 songs and the dance floor was empty - finally put on Michael Jackson - Don't stop till you get enough. That broke the ice, I was sweating bullets. From there some Cameo and other Funk and it was on. About 8:30 the band showed up and they were ready for their first set at 9.

Another gig that was a stress fest was back in the 90's playing in a club from opening at 6 on Saturday nights until 8 when the main house DJ showed up at a burlesque club. Dealing with drink specials and 25 tempermental primadona dancers - some had their own CD's that couldn't be mixed up with the house music and some wanted songs from the house library which was extensive and hard to file through. Others wanted you to "pick something good" for them. Lots of names to remember and anouncements - most of it talk-over. Fade in, fade out, cut songs short, blah blah blah.

Explore explore explore. I am interested in seeing what guys that are working in the clubs today have to add in response to your post.

Hang in there, you'll get it figured out. Do you have any friends that DJ? You got one thing right about "Also maybe some recommendations for songs that girls like dancing to that might kill it at the club?" Always always always play to the ******* - Club rule 1). "some people were complaining but the bar staff seemed to think I did fine" - Club rule 2) interact and get along with the staff.

Something else to learn is set length. Shorter sets early, longer sets as the evening progresses. Sometimes sit 'em down. Give them time to hit the bar, get more drinks and interact. Learn to be in control. Then, pick 'em back up.

Dance Monkey kinda reminds me of Peter Gabriel Shock the Monkey from back in the day.

Those are the times that make you brother.

A bit more.

Figure out a set structure for your music. In clubs with bands or band DJ they start with the live music at 9 and run 45 minute sets, then at 1am do a 30 minute set, and clear out from 1:30 to 2am when all customers are out and doors lock. For a DJ only show it may work to shorten up the first set or two, until it fills up. For DJ sets, slow it down to end each set. Sets should be like a sawtooth, slowly build tempo and energy level, then drop straight off to end. Without knowing the club you are in and crowd you have to work with I'm just taking a shot in the dark.

You want control. Giveth and taketh away control. Always end the set on a high note. Then ease back into the following set, building energy level to a crescendo, then slow it down again. Sometimes let a song fade, just a brief silence, then make an announcement or start the next song. Beginning the sets hold back just a little on the gain - you may hammer it hard to stand them back up, then slowly bring the gain down very subtly to save a little to use to keep building to the end of the set.