Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pioneer DJM-V10

New Pioneer DJM-V10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNYTE1n4OvU

What would have been even better than the Comp control would have been a Dyn control with 12 o'clock off, compressor on one side, and expander on the other. Lots of Utility settings tweaks you could also allow the adjustment on for those possible, too... ratios levels, thresholds, etc.

They probably used the plastic touch screen so it could be pressure sensitive instead of capacitive, which is less prone to interference and accidental presses. Quite a smart idea with making part of the control over the master effects a touch screen like that, IMO, as it allows changes later.

Definitely going after A&H and Playdifferently with that, especially the Xone 96 and DB4. Maybe also the Formula Sound FF6.2 and Rane MP2015. I assume the Rotarykits.com crew will be out with a mod. It’s lacking simultaneous high and low pass filters, full effects sections per channel, and full matrix inputs of the DB4. The Playdifferently, FF6.2, and MP2015 also have the ability to double up on both high and low pass on the same channel. Pioneer probably would have been better off replacing the treble with a dedicated LP and the low tone knob with a dedicated HP and lose their shared knob. That said, it looks like they went with normal EQs and not fixed or optional isolators on the channels, which is a good idea in and of itself even compared to the MP2015’s current use of only reduced-group-delay quasi-FIR 2nd-order isos on the channels without any bypass or optional EQ mode possible considering its already got a master IIR 4th-order master iso.

Pioneer may have changed the ADC architecture, as it appears to be the first major Pioneer digital DJM to have fixed-gain analog inputs with the lack of the DJM900NXS2 and Tour "clip" channel LED indicators for the true analog trimming. Not really necessary to have done it this way, but everyone else does digital DJ mixers this fixed way. I’m curious about the DSP and audio processing code library they went with, because the particular TI one they've been using since the DJM-800/1000 on has used very similar coding even with each new model, including the newest with double float, with kind of a bloated low-end, among other things. Their master out section is still kind of wanky, though, with boost over unity, a different metering scale, and an extra red. As a definite first for Pioneer, they did finally mark the unity with a specific zero on the master knob, but I doubt they’re giving a -10dB option in the Utility settings like Denon gives you. Really no reason for it to have boost over unity on the master.

6 SPDIF inputs is a first and welcome. The AES/EBU master digital out from the Tour is also welcome.

Not quite sure how you persuade the Xone analog, Playdifferently, or Formula Sound crowd to come over to digital. Certainly X1700, DB4, MP2015, and even the PPD9000 (that had channel compressors, by the way) proved you can get digital sound that meets or exceeds even the best analog DJ mixers, so perhaps this is just a matter of getting audiophile DJs to listen to the V10 or the other top digital boards.

And may I just finally point out those meters? I guess meant to help people with color blindness. Lots of indications of Pioneer trying to play catch up with other brands on the V10.

Nonetheless, this is a very exciting mixer.

Quote Originally Posted by Reticuli View Post
    What would have been even better than the Comp control would have been a Dyn control with 12 o'clock off, compressor on one side, and expander on the other.
    Cool idea. Can it be done in analog way, on an analog mixer?

What does the "V" stand for?
    Should have gone with "A" since it's obviously going after A&H.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    What does the "V" stand for?
    "Very" jealous of Allen&Heath

Seriously though. That thing is a beast of a mixer. I wonder why they went with oversize knobs on the main EQ. Huh.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Putting a compressor into the hands of DJ's is insanely stupid. For every ONE DJ/producer who uses this feature for live instruments, drum machines etc that it could actually be useful for, there'll be FIFTY who just crank it up and compress the heck out of absolutely everything in the endless quest to be the loudest.

I predict a lot more blown sound systems and a lot of hearing damage in the crowds.

But yea, one good thing about this mixer having so many more knobs, is that it won't break as easily when coke-addicted headliners stand on top of it.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    one good thing about this mixer having so many more knobs, is that it won't break as easily when coke-addicted headliners stand on top of it.
    Wait... what? That's a thing???

I hope you're not serious.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Wait... what? That's a thing???

I hope you're not serious.
    https://www.youredm.com/2019/12/19/s...djs-and-mixer/

Last edited by KLH; 01-17-2020 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added pic from link. -KLH

WTF???????

-KLH

Pioneer probably didn't mind the free publicity. Would you stand on someone else's gear?

Definitely going after A&H

Good luck.

What would have been even better than the Comp control would have been a Dyn control with 12 o'clock off, compressor on one side, and expander on the other.
    Not quite sure how it could be done.. I think most of the built-in "one knob" FET/VCA compressors have roughly a -20..0dB threshold control and while space is dear they are based around a single compandor chip such as the NE571/575 (in other words the control voltage signal to the gain reduction circuitry cannot be reversed so that it would truly expand; it's more of a less welcome side-effect from the compromises made in the circuit design)

Lots of Utility settings tweaks you could also allow the adjustment on for those possible, too... ratios levels, thresholds, etc.
    This is what some manufacturers do but in a per-channel configuration they clutter the front panel and thus are mainly limited to master/buss compressors. Formula Sound offered a master limiter to their modular PM mixers which afaik sounded horrible (many VCA compressors are known to introduce unwanted distortion)

Not quite sure how you persuade the Xone analog, Playdifferently, or Formula Sound crowd to come over to digital.
    They cater to a very different userbase.. Pioneer likes to make their stuff compatible with CDJs.

Nonetheless, this is a very exciting mixer.
    I believe it was made as a successor to the DJM-1000 which was largely an unobtanium device with it's extensive channel configuration, isolator etc back in the day. I've seen Sander Kleinenberg using one in a video though.

What I thought was really cool about the DJM-1000 was that it had a brushed aluminium front plate master section, and the isolator which is usually only found in install/boutique-range mixers. Iirc it had 100mm faders too which gives it a sort of broadcast/mixing console feel.

Some people claimed it had better sound quality than the DJM-500/600 but the price of the unit was many times more anyone starting out or even making a living from DJing could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Putting a compressor into the hands of DJ's is insanely stupid. For every ONE DJ/producer who uses this feature for live instruments, drum machines etc that it could actually be useful for, there'll be FIFTY who just crank it up and compress the heck out of absolutely everything in the endless quest to be the loudest.
    This is sad but true.. Pioneer holds a significant market share and therefore a lot of large clubs could be going for the "easy route" in their installs. But they did a very good job at advertising the compressor feature by saying the DJ can now "fix" poor dynamics of songs (which can be good news for bedroom producers)

Usually a compressor has it's place in a mic channel or in extreme cases the master buss as a talkover or a soft limiter (many sound systems have a compressor for this purpose though) but it could possibly encourage DJs to play poorly mastered demos etc which they otherwise wouldn't.

I predict a lot more blown sound systems and a lot of hearing damage in the crowds.
    Could be, seeing Pioneer isn't a company known for compressors but consumer hifi and DJ gear. But I dare to guess they made it intentionally lean enough so it doesn't make that much difference, afaik many DJs happily drove the old DJM-500/600/800 mixers in the red anyway.

I very much liked the overall concept of having extra channels and the isolator, the compressor is a nice feature too but as stated a lot of people are going misuse it.

What I disliked is the FX section which makes it look sort of gimmicky but I think that's how Pioneer has been implementing their effects engine for the past ~10 years.

But, the price alone makes it (along with the aforementioned Playdifferently, A&H and Formula Sound mixers) somewhat a unicorn in the DJ world (think large clubs)