Thread: Denon SM50 or Rokit RP5 G4

Denon SM50 or Rokit RP5 G4

Hi guys, cant decide between these speakers, the Denon SM50's are on sale (pair for £199 instead of £300) and the rokits £260 a pair, which would you think would suit me best for a turntable/dvs setup in a small/medium room in my house, cant decide but leaning towards the rockets as they have a built in 25band EQ, but the denons also jabe preset switches on the rear to tweat the sound etc, cant decide 🤔?

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

a built in 25band EQ [...] jabe preset switches on the rear to tweat the sound etc
    Have you listened to both.

When you buy a studio monitor, you want flat reproduction and accuracy, not bells and whistles that are pretty much useless.

That said, I usually do not like KRK speakers, due to them being "flattering" in the low medium department.

Hi manu,

There is no where close to where i live to go and demo them so i will be buying online both seem to have decent reviews so im not sure which ones

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

When you buy a studio monitor, you want flat reproduction and accuracy, not bells and whistles that are pretty much useless.
    Yes, but he's not using them for production, so that room correction dsp can be useful in his case, though I'm not a fan of dsp. I like the Denons too, at least the looks. For blind purchase you must rely on reviews, that's it.

To add: front ported speakers are easier to accommodate, as back ported require room inward placement, off the wall.

I don't like KRK Rockits as they're not very linear in frequency response, the sound good but their accuracy is no better than most hi-fi speakers. I'd say if you ever decide to make music get yourself a pair of Yamaha HS5 instead or maybe JBL 305P which are way better and far more accurate. But seeing as you're just using them to dj at home a pair of these would be great :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R12...9180541&sr=8-5

I'm getting a pair later this year for exactly the same reason, to use as dj monitors at home they're cheap but excellent sounding speakers for their price.
    Last edited by Fred-Dibna; 01-16-2020 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    Yes, but he's not using them for production, so that room correction dsp can be useful in his case, though I'm not a fan of dsp. I like the Denons too, at least the looks. For blind purchase you must rely on reviews, that's it.
    I did not mention production or DJing, or any other purpose. When one buys a studio monitor, that's because they are after sound reproduction accuracy.

For room correction, you buy sound treatment, and you certainly do not use any form of DSP for DJing, due to processing lag issues.

I never purchased speakers on looks, worst mistake to make. The risk is you get stuck with your purchase regardless of whether you like the sound or not. I have seen a lot of people buying yamahas NS-80s on blind faith, then they realised they're the speakers with the most tinny, unflattering flat sound ever. As opposed to KRK's entire range being soft and flattering, and that's what hifi does..

Quote Originally Posted by tizdaz View Post
    Hi manu,

There is no where close to where i live to go and demo them so i will be buying online both seem to have decent reviews so im not sure which ones
    Fair enough. Like you already seen, I would never pick a KRK speaker up, and the deal on the Denons seems better value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred-Dibna View Post
    I don't like KRK Rockits as they're not very linear in frequency response, the sound good but their accuracy is no better than most hi-fi speakers. I'd say if you ever decide to make music get yourself a pair of Yamaha HS5 instead or maybe JBL 305P which are way better and far more accurate. But seeing as you're just using them to dj at home a pair of these would be great :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edifier-R12...9180541&sr=8-5

I'm getting a pair later this year for exactly the same reason, to use as dj monitors at home they're cheap but excellent sounding speakers for their price.
    Cool, much cheaper to 🙂 i know this sounds silly (no pun intended!) but would these be just as good as the denons in terms of my use, its not volume i need as i wont be blasting the sound out due to neighbours etc but i do wamt to have good quality at low/mid volume range, i also dont want them to struggle if i do turn them up a notch now and then, also these just connect to my mixer right?

Cheers again guys/gals for info, much appreciated 😉

I did not mention production or DJing, or any other purpose. When one buys a studio monitor, that's because they are after sound reproduction accuracy.
    For home listening/bedroom djing on a budget, flattering speakers are actually welcome and accuracy is not the ultimate goal. Accuracy is needed in the studio per se, that's why they are called studio monitors, so putting the accent on it made me think you imply studio/production use in your statement.

For room correction, you buy sound treatment, and you certainly do not use any form of DSP for DJing, due to processing lag issues.
    Not with this budget. The lag part is something I thought of, but KRK probably know better. Btw, most mixers today are dsp based, as we know.

I never purchased speakers on looks, worst mistake to make.
    Of course.