Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Switching from Digital to Vinyl- Thoughts?

Switching from Digital to Vinyl- Thoughts?

Ultimately would switching to vinyl support me in becoming a better tech house/ techno dj? Ive been mixing for two years and have got a few gigs under my belt which i never thought would be possible lol. I never mix with visual aids apart from where in the track I am which I want to move away from. I want to feel more connected to the music that I'm playing. Or am i way off the mark here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
    Ultimately would switching to vinyl support me in becoming a better tech house/ techno dj?
    No, it will not.
    It might make scratching easier to learn, but that is it.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I get much more pleasure playing, from the pure mixing perspective, original vinyl than DVS or CDs [shudder].

Same as compared to a potter spinning a potter's wheel by hand compared to controlling a machine producing pots.

However, in this day and age with all the benefits of digital (tracks, sound quality, FX, loops etc) I can't justify my caveman ways out in the DJ market.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

You don't need to completely switch...grab some turntables and vinyl, and keep your CDJs or whatever digital media you are using. Best of both worlds.
    www.soundcloud.com/icewind

www.mixcloud.com/icewind

The only reason I still play vinyl is because I always have. I have a lot of records that aren't available digitally. If I were to start from scratch today, I'd go digital. Vinyl has a lot of limitations that you won't have to deal with in the digital world. Records cost a lot of money and they take up a lot of space. You'll need records if you want to spin records. I wouldn't recommend getting into vinyl DJing at this time... Except if you're into a kind of music that was prevalent before the digital era; for instance reggae, disco, or synth-pop. Digging through old records is a lot more fun that scrolling through endless lists of edm tracks in front of a screen. That's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    You don't need to completely switch...grab some turntables and vinyl, and keep your CDJs or whatever digital media you are using. Best of both worlds.
    My vote goes here - Vinyl is vinyl, and is where I started too. Learn it all - use it all as desired. Nobody else can tell you who you should become as an artist - in the end, find your own way. Not suggesting that feedback from peers isn't invaluable - it is.

If you really want to get into vinyl I would recommend whatever playback system you are using have parametric eq on the inputs from the turntable, any present day digital audio mixer has this - then you can dial out any rumble or feedback. Individual channel control of the eq is what you want, been a while since I dialed in a turntable, but as I recall the left ch was more prone to feedback at high volume levels. The stylus moves up and down in the track as the groove narrows and widens for one channel and left to right as the groove sways for the other channel. Seems the L&R movement is more prone to feedback so a parametric notch eq band will fix that with ease.

Yes, I think this would be the ideal choice here. Getting the best of both world would be the way to go.

why not go DVS ?

best of both worlds then

Quote Originally Posted by inthered View Post
    The only reason I still play vinyl is because I always have. I have a lot of records that aren't available digitally. If I were to start from scratch today, I'd go digital. Vinyl has a lot of limitations that you won't have to deal with in the digital world. Records cost a lot of money and they take up a lot of space. You'll need records if you want to spin records. I wouldn't recommend getting into vinyl DJing at this time... Except if you're into a kind of music that was prevalent before the digital era; for instance reggae, disco, or synth-pop. Digging through old records is a lot more fun that scrolling through endless lists of edm tracks in front of a screen. That's for sure.
    I agree with inthered - I just play vinyl, and if I were to start from scratch today, I'd go digital. I love my records, but they take up a whole room, it's stressful to move with them, and no matter how much you pay for a 7" or 12", damage and loss is always a threat, and wear & tear through use diminishes their cost value a lot.
    I get a lot of pleasure from sifting through and picking-out records to play, and there's something magical in getting an amazing record and putting it on your turntable for the 1st time, but after all, music is music, and it's magic anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Icewind View Post
    yes, seconded, i play winyl for fun or at places where its the only option, i learnt mainly on cdjs though, definentely invest in some turntables

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Like View Post
    yes, seconded, i play winyl for fun or at places where its the only option, i learnt mainly on cdjs though, definentely invest in some turntables
    vinyl haha
    Last edited by Manu; 08-28-2020 at 07:55 AM. Reason: posts merged