Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harmonic Mixing

Harmonic Mixing

How-To Guide
    Harmonic Mixing is an advanced technique used by top DJs all over the world. By mixing tracks that are in the same or related keys, harmonic mixing enables long blends and mash-ups. The goal is to eliminate key clashes.

The Basics

Harmonic mixing consists of two elements: knowing the key of every song that you play and knowing which keys are compatible.

To get started, find the keys of your songs. You can detect keys with a piano, a good ear, and a background in music theory. To save time, you can use professional DJ software such as Mixed In Key. Mixed In Key scans your MP3 and WAV files, and shows you the key of every song.

The First Mix

To help DJs learn harmonic mixing, Mark Davis created the Camelot wheel, a visual representation of which keys are compatible with each other:

On the Camelot wheel, each key is assigned a keycode number from one to twelve, like hours around a clock.

For the first mix, we recommend mixing two songs that have the same keycode, like 8A and 8A. It will sound like a professional mash-up made in the studio, even if you are mixing on live DJ equipment.

The Professional DJ Approach

Many professional DJs move around the Camelot wheel with every mix.

To select a compatible song, choose a keycode within one "hour" of your current keycode. If you are in 8A, you can play 7A, 8A or 9A next. If you are in 12A, you can play 11A, 12A or 1A. This mix will be smooth every time.

You can also mix between inner and outer wheels if you stay in the same "hour." For example, try mixing from 8A to 8B, and notice the change in melody as you go from Minor to Major.

Harmonic mixing is a simple technique, but it opens up a world of creativity. You will play creative DJ sets and discover interesting song combinations. It's easy to get started with any music genre.

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/Image...onicMixing.jpg <---- the circle to help guide you!!

MORE AT http://www.harmonic-mixing.com

Thought this would be helpful for new comers ENJOY!

12A<-1A->2A isn't the only way either!

The chart:
    www.nickjames.ca
    → Reddit: omers on /r/DJs and /r/Beatmatch

word! been looking for a breakdown on this.

any idea how to transpose from Major to Minor?

You can embed pictures:

Here's how to memorise going up and down the scale:

"Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles's Father" and it's reverse, or "Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Birds."
    F C G D A E B

Quote Originally Posted by NickJames View Post
    12A<-1A->2A isn't the only way either!
    correct. Also don't rely exclusively on harmonic rules, sometimes the element of chance brings results you wouldn't expect.

Mixed In Key scans your MP3 and WAV files, and shows you the key of every song.
    Better to learn music theory rather than relying on software. Because what are you going to do when your laptop isn't here.
    Last edited by Manu; 02-07-2012 at 02:17 AM.

God I hate this sh*t.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

When I first started I ran by this but after dj'ing for a couple years now I realise a person must think outside the box, if you set yourself to a definitive set of rules you're never going to be able to break the barriers that were meant to be broken.

This is good to work off of but I have achieved some great mixes by overstepping this system.

Quote Originally Posted by de.j.l View Post
    When I first started I ran by this but after dj'ing for a couple years now I realise a person must think outside the box, if you set yourself to a definitive set of rules you're never going to be able to break the barriers that were meant to be broken.
    This. 100% agree.

Its good for newbs, but for seasoned DJ's it limits your creativity really.
    www.londontechnoblog.com / www.soundcloud.com/adam-bloy #TeamIdiot
    Cpl. Josh Ray Person:
    "There are layers of retardation people don't even know about"

besides, an off key mix should be as audible as an off beat one

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    You can embed pictures:

lol, so he took the Circle of Fifths, and added numbers.

I don't like that idea, it removes the knowledge of what you're actually doing. 8a and 8b are "compatible" because they're relative keys, meaning they have the exact same notes. C major is C D E F G A B, and A minor is A B C D E F G. Same notes, start in a different spot... it's a really really common technique for musicians to use relative keys when soloing or doing a fill.

Better to learn music theory rather than relying on software. Because what are you going to do when your laptop isn't here.
    I agree with this to a point. It's better to just learn the basics of music theory than to rely on the above. Besides, that wheel omits a number of keys that are common in music, it's really just showing you the basic keys out there.

Still, most people can't pick out the key of a tune just by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecitydjs View Post
    word! been looking for a breakdown on this.

any idea how to transpose from Major to Minor?
    You can't transpose from a major key to a minor. Transpose means to shift a key up or down a set number of steps. If you transpose G major up to A, it'll be A major.