Thread: Need Advice on the best mixer to choose?

Need Advice on the best mixer to choose?

Hello, I am asking for advice on the best mixer to buy with my current setup. I only DJ for fun most of the time but I want good equipment. I own a controller with RCA output and I refuse to plug straight into QSC speakers because I know that will sound awful. I want a mixer to plug into that has an XLR output and XLR mic input as I believe doing this would sound better. Here are 2 mixers I looked at, do these look like good choices? Or is there a mixer I could be missing that tops these? I want one that is smaller like these but will hold up well.

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG06-6...61&sr=8-6&th=1

Thank you for your time.

I think you'll be better off getting a converter instead of a cheap mixer.

Here's one with stereo ins and stereo outs.
    CLEANBoxPro Dual-Channel Level Converter by ART
    Price: $79.94
    https://www.amazon.com/ART-CLEANBoxP.../dp/B003S7T49K
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

What's the controller? It won't sound better if you add one more thing in the chain.

A mixer is not going to make your controller sound better, this is a misconception.

is there a mixer I could be missing that tops these
    Considering these are the cheapest, everything else will top them.
    Last edited by Manu; 01-10-2020 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sincavich View Post
    I want a mixer to plug into that has an XLR output and XLR mic input as I believe doing this would sound better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    A mixer is not going to make your controller sound better, this is a misconception.
    Manu is right, just converting an unbalanced sound signal (like RCAs) to a balanced sound signal (like XLR) will not improve the sound. It will make the sound resistant to noise over long cable runs (think 30'+) but that's about it.

Now adding mic inputs to a controller-based setup is a practical benefit, IMHO. I use a Mackie 402VLZ3 compact mixer for this purpose.

It provides balanced outputs over 1/4" TRS - which is easy to convert to XLR for your speakers. The bonus is that you can often find this model for under $50. While there's a newer version, the 402VLZ4, it offers no significant advantages over the VLZ3 model for our application.

Additionally, having a mixer like this also allows the use of a secondary sound source as a backup - just in case the controller fails. That's a REAL benefit.
    Last edited by KLH; 01-10-2020 at 07:41 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The boys are right, the idea that plugging your controller directly into powered speakers would sound bad is wrong, but there are good reasons to add a compact mixer to your setup. The vast majority of the DJ setups I do include a small mixer.

A small prosound mixer will have much better mic preamps and processing than a DJ console, I don't know why that is but the Mackie Profx8's that I use do a much better job with mics than even a Pioneer DDJ SX that costs a lot more.

The balanced XLR or TRS outputs on the mixer produce more voltage than an RCA output and that will drive a powered speaker much better, you won't need to crank everything to the max and it allows noise free transmission over very long cables to the speakers.

If a DJ console has any EQ on the mic input it is the bare minimum. A prosound mixer will have better EQ plus a low cut filter, sometimes a compressor and/ or even a vocal effects processor. These things are more than just fun toys they are mandatory for achieving professional results, you won't believe how much better a mic works when these things are in use and dialed in correctly.

The better mixers will also have a USB input, this is a great backup that can be used to stream music at the highest quality from your laptop in the event of a controller problem.

A mixer will often have additional outputs with their own level control that can be used for a variety of things including to drive speakers in remote locations.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by sincavich View Post
    Hello, I am asking for advice on the best mixer to buy with my current setup.
    https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Heath-C...ct_top?ie=UTF8

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MG06-6...61&sr=8-6&th=1

Thank you for your time.
    I completely forgot to answer this question. Both of those mixers are good, if I had to pick I think I'd take the A&H... they make some really nice stuff. I own one of the larger Yamaha MG mixers and it does a good job too so I don't think you would be disappointed with the sound of that one either, I'd just suggest you step up a notch or two to get one with a few more features.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com