Thread: Stuck by knowing what to do

Stuck by knowing what to do

Hi everyone,

Right now I am 15 y/o, and I have a passion for DJing. Tbh, my basics of djing are well, transitions, beatmatching ... Now the problem is, I really want to start playing at party's. I know, i'm a bit too young to start playing at party's at this age but I really want to get myself prepared. The issue is that I honestly dont know what music I should play if im playing at a party because I dont know what good music is to play at party's.
    Really hope someone could help me out by knowing what to play.
    With kind regards and a happy newyear everyone!
    Last edited by cedricdhaese; 01-03-2020 at 04:43 PM.

DJ Ryusei and DJ Sara performing at WMG Grammy Party in 2008
    1:44

The Dutch DJ/producer Martin Garrix was just 17 years old when he released the track that changed his life in 2013. "Animals" would conquer the dance festival circuit and crossover to peak at No. 21 on Billboard's Hot 100, elevating the youngster to stardom.
    When Madeon's "Pop Culture" mash-up video went viral in July 2011, the young French artist was only 17. His stellar follow-up remix of deadmau5's "Raise Your Weapon" belied his age and proved he was far from a fluke.
    DJ QBert with Sara & Ryusei
    27:18
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Well.. there are a LOT of different kinds of parties.. and lots of different kinds of DJ's.. so there's no one right answer.

Think about the kinds of parties you could play in the next year or two.. for example, parties for you and your friends? Parties for your family?
    When you're practicing, imagine a party in your mind with certain people you know at it, and what the party would be like.. and what music would go with that.

But also, very important.. play music you LIKE. And also, think about what parties you'd like to play at. If you love let's say electronic dance music (eg techno, house, trance, breaks, or whatever) then think about what the crowd you want to play for would be into. For that, youtube videos of sets at clubs and festivals are great to get a feeling for what your favorite DJ's play and how they put it together....

It's def hard to figure out what to play if you don't have some kind of audience in mind.

Yeah at alot of party's in Belgium the DJ's play alot of diffrent genres. These party's are not only techno or only house. How would I know the first time what to play, is it just playing what a have and see how the crowd reacts? And how were you prepared for your first Gig?

I remember years ago someone wrote on this forum something that I still remember, I think it went something like this:

When you are a DJ there are 3 rules. You can only pick 2 rules out of this 3.

1. You can play what you like to hear.
    2. You can play what the crowd wants to hear.
    3. You can accept all gigs that are offered to you.

---------------------

In other words, you can adapt to the crowd or you can play what you like. Playing what you like willl limit your crowd, but you won't have to play music you hate.

Even famous DJs have had to play for the crowd. Many have had to take gigs wherever they can get them - weddings, radio, popular clubs.

Limiting yourself by playing what you like will mean you are not running your DJing as a business. But DJing doesn't really pay in the long term anyway unless you get really lucky.

Always check what the client wants to hear before a gig. Always be prepared for people who will critique your DJing and music taste. So get your top level game perfected and bring a varied collection including the latest trends in music, because there is always some kid who thinks they know better.
    Last edited by pete; 01-04-2020 at 03:14 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Alright, this really helped out, thanks dude

thread moved to

"beginners"

Unless you want to be called a sellout (or if you're DJing for money, like a mobile DJ), just play what you like and don't spend too much time changing yourself to get gigs. If you play what other people like you'll get burned out quicker than otherwise. That's not to say don't play what the crowd wants, but in terms of genre, find something you love then work crowd favorites into your sets. Sure you'll limit yourself by sticking to a genre or two, but at 15 you should be playing to have fun, not to make a living. Play what you want and take the shows that want what you offer. Not sure what you play or what the scene is like in your area.

How many actual parties have you been to? Don't know the age rules are the local clubs where you are or if you go to other non-club parties. But if your age is restrictive right now you can start building a brand by making music, giving away remixes online, posting up DJ mixes and doing livestreams. Try to build up a little local following and when you are ready to hit the club you'll already have some people wanting to come check you out.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I remember years ago someone wrote on this forum something that I still remember, I think it went something like this:

When you are a DJ there are 3 rules. You can only pick 2 rules out of this 3.

1. You can play what you like to hear.
    2. You can play what the crowd wants to hear.
    3. You can accept all gigs that are offered to you.

---------------------

In other words, you can adapt to the crowd or you can play what you like. Playing what you like willl limit your crowd, but you won't have to play music you hate.

Even famous DJs have had to play for the crowd. Many have had to take gigs wherever they can get them - weddings, radio, popular clubs.

Limiting yourself by playing what you like will mean you are not running your DJing as a business. But DJing doesn't really pay in the long term anyway unless you get really lucky.

Always check what the client wants to hear before a gig. Always be prepared for people who will critique your DJing and music taste. So get your top level game perfected and bring a varied collection including the latest trends in music, because there is always some kid who thinks they know better.
    Exactly the answer for the question that i did not even asked! Thanks!