Thread: First Gig

First Gig

So I had my first gig on NYE 2 days ago. From 20:00 till 3:00. All I can say is that I was really tired at 23:00 already.

I moved to the music and the bass was really strong next to me, i thought i'm going to pass out, and I was scared that I still must play 4 hours.

I had to wash my face a few times in the bathroom to be able to continue. The truth is that I made it till 3:00, but I didn't enjoyed it that much.

What is your advice when playing a long set?

I once played an 18 hour NYE set.

Only advice I could give is that by the end your back will be shot from bending over equipment.

So get a massage from the dancing girls.

Giggity.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Eat and sleep properly, drink water. If you had a few days of eating/staying up late, it will have an impact.

I also did a NYE 16 hour gig, ended at 10 in the morning, everybody back up and partying at 12. Pizza break around 5 in the morning because you can't go on for that long without a minimum amount of food, drink, and toilet breaks.

First Gig

6 hours is a long time, but even playing just 4 hours you’re gonna get tired. As the DJ, you have to keep your energy up the whole time. Guests can relax for long stretches to rejuvenate. It’s not easy, as you now know. That’s why everyone’s not DJing.😊

If I’m gonna go for more than four hours, I try not to get too elaborate on my setup, which would add more time at the beginning and end of the gig. As Pete said, your back is gonna hurt... no getting around it. If you can recruit an assistant, that could be worthwhile. I’ve never found one who was worth the time and effort to train.

As for not being much fun, it takes a certain type of person to make hard work fun. I’ve always been able to do it. I’m not really a high energy person innately, but I can turn it on when I want to. If you’re expected to be the star of the show, ya gotta have the mindset that you can be bigger than life, then just go for it... go little crazy if you like. It is kinda mind over matter. When I’m playing my DJ character, I’m a different guy, and I feed off (get energy from) the guests. The fun is in seeing your guests having fun.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 01-02-2020 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I once played an 18 hour NYE set.

Only advice I could give is that by the end your back will be shot from bending over equipment.

So get a massage from the dancing girls.

Giggity.
    Well that's useful Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Eat and sleep properly, drink water. If you had a few days of eating/staying up late, it will have an impact.

I also did a NYE 16 hour gig, ended at 10 in the morning, everybody back up and partying at 12. Pizza break around 5 in the morning because you can't go on for that long without a minimum amount of food, drink, and toilet breaks.
    Wow! 16 hours is madness! You grab some Red Bull or something else? Only Pizza?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    6 hours is a long time, but even playing just 4 hours you’re gonna get tired. As the DJ, you have to keep your energy up the whole time. Guests can relax for long stretches to rejuvenate. It’s not easy, as you now know. That’s why everyone’s not DJing.��

If I’m gonna go for more than four hours, I try not to get too elaborate on my setup, which would add more time at the beginning and end of the gig. As Pete said, your back is gonna hurt... no getting around it. If you can recruit an assistant, that could be worthwhile. I’ve never found one who was worth the time and effort to train.

As for not being much fun, it takes a certain type of person to make hard work fun. I’ve always been able to do it. I’m not really a high energy person innately, but I can turn it on when I want to. If you’re expected to be the star of the show, ya gotta have the mindset that you can be bigger than life, then just go for it... go little crazy if you like. It is kinda mind over matter. When I’m playing my DJ character, I’m a different guy, and I feed off (get energy from) the guests. The fun is in seeing your guests having fun.
    Wise words, thank you! Yes, people told me that I should smile more, but it's hard 'cause I'm focusing all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by davidphoenix View Post
    Wow! 16 hours is madness! You grab some Red Bull or something else? Only Pizza?
    A few beers and drinks throughout the night (private house party)

I tried (was offered) redbull once and only once actually at a gig, and then I could not sleep until the next day 7am. I never ever touched that stuff ever again in my life.

The thing is the day before a gig, get up late, have a nap in the afternoon if possible, stay hydrated and have 2 proper meals in the day. Doing a gig while tired and hungry is something I never did.

Quote Originally Posted by davidphoenix View Post
    So I had my first gig on NYE 2 days ago. From 20:00 till 3:00. All I can say is that I was really tired at 23:00 already.

I moved to the music and the bass was really strong next to me, i thought i'm going to pass out, and I was scared that I still must play 4 hours.

I had to wash my face a few times in the bathroom to be able to continue. The truth is that I made it till 3:00, but I didn't enjoyed it that much.

What is your advice when playing a long set?
    When I'm out working now, I take an ice chest with bottled water, and a small tool bag with; paper towels, a roll of schitt paper, some bug repellent spray, foam ear plugs and a flashlight + some protein bars. For the listening fatigue, try and move the subs farther from your console. Next thing I buy will be some better ear plugs designed for sound engineers.