Greetings and salutations from sunny L.A.

I go by the name 007, and I have a reggae soundsystem.

I'm an audio engineer by trade, and an expert on the Pro Tools digital audio workstation. I got out of the music industry some years ago, but I'm a fan of old school Jamaican riddims, so I decided the next logical step was to become a reggae DJ.

I specialize in 1970's reggae, with the subgenre's of Roots, Lover's Rock, and Dub. In the tradition of the Jamaican Rudeboy, I also wear a full suit and tie.

I got started up in Aspen, Colorado. However, it is such a small market, there aren't many places to play there, and getting a gig was tough. Apart from being a bedroom DJ, I spun for a few friends at private parties, but that's about it.

I was already pretty well-connected in the L.A. reggae scene, so it was pretty easy to land my first gig here. I have to say, that one hour of playing a real gig is worth 100 hours of bedroom DJ'ing.

The biggest issue, was that they put my DJ setup in a weird area where it was kind of hard to hear what the house soundsystem was doing. All I could really hear is bass. If I had to do it all over again, I would have brought a small monitor wedge pointed up at me. The other thing that threw me off, was that while the bands were setting up, the engineer was soundchecking each instrument so it was really distracting when guys on stage are beating drums and whatnot. Lastly, the owner decided he wanted to set up a speaker outside at the last minute, and there were all these people skulking around my table looking for a power drop which was making me nervous as hell. Oh, and I also had some fanboy come up and talk my ear off all night. Wasn't expecting any of that! LOL

Despite these few little foibles, the night was a smashing success. A lot of people came up to pay their respects, and the crew that got me the gig is already talking about having me back.

This is such a fun hobby! I can't wait to see how things evolve if I stick with it!