Thread: losing the will!!!

losing the will!!!

So I've been mixing with a traktor s8 now for a few months as that is what i started on, specifically hip hop and r&b, and i have been loving it! I've made a few cds, and hours would go by. Until i got some cdj 1000s on timecode! as impressive as this set up looks, I'm not enjoying the learning how to scratch part! i have been on every single tutorial on youtube, I've read books on how to do it, and i am practising, but at the same time I'm leaving my decks frustrated more and more. i do as everyone says, i scratch with no beat playing, trying to master the chirp, feeling confident about doing it to just a simple beat let alone a well known hip hop song, and then it just sounds terrible! i hate that crossfader lol...

please can some one help me out, or shine some light on any tips or advice, as i would happily snap my fingers like a fu**ing glow stick to get decent at this!

I know how you feel. I felt the same way when learning how to beat match on gemini xl-500 beltdrives… also felt that way when I first started producing and trying to scratch.
    It's a learning curve, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the process. I found that listening to too many scratch videos of PROs doing super routines I'd get in a slump... thinking "what's the point.. I'll never be that good!" You're only seeing the end result of NON STOP training on their part. They've been in slumps also.
    If you take a logical approach to scratching you'll have fun and pick it up in no time. We're basically turning the sound on and off at the forward or reverse motion of the record making your own rhythm in the process... It's not mythical or rocket science.
    So instead of trying one scratch at a time, try some combos... do some weird shit. just have fun.

Now if your cuts aren't slicing clean etc it may be your fader. Innofaders are the best (imo)
    Could also be that the torque of the table isn't up to par.

At the end of the day just make sure you get on the decks, make mistakes and have fun. you'll get it eventually.
    (((DJF member since 06')))

YES! i defiantly agree with that, it was getting to the point where i was getting frustrated with the youtube tutorials as they would teach you how to scratch without mentioning the crossfader or the cuts there doing, even to the little bits like hand positions, or how to set your crossfader, and then finish the video showing off there skills! but i managed to find a link to an online set of tutorials by dj Angelo which shows you step by step from the baby scratch to beat juggling! so that has helped a lot! and thank god because i think i would of went anther week and those cdjs would of went out the window

it makes me laugh to think how many other people like me got there first jog wheels, vinyl, and thought scratching would be easy lol... its crazy when i now think how much skill really goes into it.

by the way Its not that I'm impatient to pick this skill up, its just that there isn't no videos on youtube that explain the structure process or what you would move onto next after achieving there 1 tutorial.

but yes cheers mate, will defiantly try to have more fun with it and realise this is a long process... but when i start cutting better than jazzy jeff... it will be worth it

Word up. Oh and check out DJ shorty or short-e she's a female dj and has free videos on her youtube channel called studio scratches. She breaks it down IN DETAIL.
    I honestly think she has the best stylistic and seamless flow of ANY dj I've ever heard.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    (((DJF member since 06')))