Thread: The right headphone for me? :)

The right headphone for me? :)

Hello guys, i have the following issue:

I always dj with my Beyerdynamics DT880 PRO, but (according to my knowledge) it is rather for studio/production.
    I have tried many headphones in the store, Sennheiser HD25, Pioneer series, but to be honest i didn't like them. Somehow i can't hear when the kicks are perfectly matched (talking about techno here).
    But with the DT880 Pro i hear everything perfectly. My question is:

Is it awkward to dj with a studio headphone on partys/gigs? Should i go for a proper dj headphone, and if so, which one can you recommend that has similar clear quality as the DT880 PRO?

Thanks in advance!

The downside to DT880 pro for DJ use is that they are semi-open.
    This means at shows the sound from the outside can leak into the headphones more than a closed back headphone.
    Which can make mixing in loud environments more difficult. For example reflections of sound and outside sounds could make listening to your headphones more difficult.

The only other thing than sound isolation that is a good characteristic for DJ headphones is the durability.

I have used HD25 for over 20 years and have never had issues.

However, I hate the sound of the HD25s compared with listening headphones. But the Dj headphones are a tool rather than an extravagent item for sound enjoyment.

All being said, if the Beyers work for you then use them. Hell, back in the day DJs used to use old telephones to do one ear mixing. As long as you are comfortable, can cue and mix well, it is all that matters.

Beyer did release a Dj-centric headphone : DT 1350 PRO . It may be worth a look.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

If they Beyers work for you, go ahead and use them. So called DJ headphones are just as much for show as for being specifically suited to DJing. Personally I prefer my headphones to sit around the ear, rather than on the ear like a lot of DJ headphones. The Beyer DT series are very comfortable headphones and I have pair of 770 that I use at work for listening and I can wear them for hours, which is more than I can say for any DJ style headphone I've tried. So in my book, any proper professional headphones are way better than any DJ headphones.

Thank you for the useful answers! The guy in the store offered me the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. Any experiences with that?

I’ve gone through Sony’s, Denon’s, Senhiesers (lower model), and Pioneer’s. The best for me has been the V-Moda Crossfades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dear All,

How are you doing? I am new to the field of DJing and would like to learn about IEM (Inner-Ear Monitors). Supposedly they can be used instead of headphones for mixing. Please can anyone explain the steps I should use to mix using Inner-Ear Monitors?

Thank you for your help,
    Peter