Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: out of DJing for 25 Years, traktor vs serato vs rekordbox Which should I go with?

out of DJing for 25 Years, traktor vs serato vs rekordbox Which should I go with?

Hi, I am looking to get back into DJing, I have a lot of vinyl but also would like to use my music on my computer, I would like to keep it fairly simple. What Mixers would come with these programs? I am leaning towards a Pioneer Mixer but I am open to ideas. This will be just a hobby now so i dont want to spend $2,000 Plus. Thanks

P.S I am leaning towards the Rekordbox from what I have been reading.

Thanks

Pioneer INTERFACE 2 $299
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pioneer...ekordbox-dj.gc

Includes license keys for rekordbox dj and rekordbox dvs
    Includes two time-code control vinyl records
    If you want to DVS all four turntables you'll need a 4 channel DVS audio interface.
    "In the early 1990s, the Bose AM-5 held some 30% of the US speaker market. Not Bose the company. Just the AM-5."
    ~ Audioholics.com

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Pioneer INTERFACE 2 $299
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pioneer...ekordbox-dj.gc

If you want to DVS all four turntables you'll need a 4 channel DVS audio interface.
    usually hip hop djs have used serato and rekordbox was more on the edm side. but now i have seen a lot of ppl use rekordbox for hip hop as well.

since ur a scratch dj, if u want to go with what has been working for the longest, go the serato route. i feel like they gear their software towards hip hop heads more than edm.'

djm-s9 Unlocks Serato DJ Pro but u would have to buy the rekordbox dj license to use it with rekordbox
    Dj FaRhAn
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.
    My mixes

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    since ur a scratch dj, if u want to go with what has been working for the longest, go the serato route. i feel like they gear their software towards hip hop heads more than edm.'

djm-s9 Unlocks Serato DJ Pro but u would have to buy the rekordbox dj license to use it with rekordbox
    Rane SEVENTY-TWO is by far the most popular with scratch DJs currently if using Serato.
    "In the early 1990s, the Bose AM-5 held some 30% of the US speaker market. Not Bose the company. Just the AM-5."
    ~ Audioholics.com

i personally prefer the pioneer layout more than the 72, but to each their own i guess
    Dj FaRhAn
    hip hop, house, reggaeton, dancehall, afrobeats, and international.
    My mixes

If I went with the Pioneer 450 which I believe comes with Rekordbox can I use serato if I end up wanting to try it?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
    If I went with the Pioneer 450 which I believe comes with Rekordbox can I use serato if I end up wanting to try it?
    You would have to buy Serato.
    ~ Audioholics.com

Quote Originally Posted by farhanashraf View Post
    i personally prefer the pioneer layout more than the 72, but to each their own i guess
    Best DJ Mixer 2018: Rane 72 vs Pioneer S9 Review
    DJ AXCESS
    14:19
    ~ Audioholics.com

Now what do controllers do? Do I need them if I buy a Mixer like the 450? Would I need that if I went with my current mixers or Older style non DVS Mixer? Thank you for all the help it is like I am starting from scratch, Things are so different.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe.G View Post
    Now what do controllers do? Do I need them if I buy a Mixer like the 450? Would I need that if I went with my current mixers or Older style non DVS Mixer? Thank you for all the help it is like I am starting from scratch, Things are so different.
    Since you already have four Technics turntables and you are going to be scratching a DVS is your best option in my opinion.

But you could plug two of your turntables into a controller. This would give you the option of scratching on your Technics and the ability to control your software with the controller.

A used Pioneer DDJ-SX would be a good cheap option in my opinion.

Pioneer DDJ-SX2 With DVS Turntable Hook Up
    2:22

Myself personally I almost never use my (Pioneer DDJ-SR) DJ controller anymore. Playing with the effects and the trigger pads is fun at first but like most new video games once the novelty wears off I find myself using it less and less.

Now I almost always use real vinyl and on the occasions when I do play digital-tracks I use SSL1 (Serato Scratch Live). I use a DJ-Tech CTRL (DVS MIDI controller) with Serato. But Novation Dicers are much more popular.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 12-20-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    ~ Audioholics.com