Thread: Backup computer

Backup computer

Hey everyone,

I’m interested In knowing if your back up computer is equal lesser or better than your regular DJ computer? We all should have a backup source of music. I keep my iPad plugged in and loaded with key playlists at every gig. This is convenient in that I regularly use my backup device for other tasks.
    However in terms of a backup laptop I don’t have one. Earlier my old faithful MBP died and I was truly blessed to find a 2012 that needs some TLC. Now I’m thinking that I need a backup computer. So again lesser, equal, or better backup computer? I’m wrestling with the thought of having a computer sitting around and not being used. Seems like a waste.

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My primary & backup laptops are identical. My backup is as ready to go as my primary is because........ I may have to use it as my primary. Its as important as my primary is. Identical laptop, software & external HD.... cloned from my primary external HD.

The only time my backup gets used is when I update it/the software or to use it as a second system to play ceremonies in a different location, etc. Otherwise, it stays in the laptop bag. Been that way for probably 5 or 6 years. So far, no issues.

Now, TBH, its not always been that way but, as my attitude toward seriously being prepared changed/advanced, when I buy one, I buy two. At one time, I used my wife's laptop with all DJ software installed on it. However, her laptops were usually low end laptops, so I decided to get serious & just do it like I think it should be done.

Just me though..... but its what I believe in.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Thanks Dix! I always appreciate your insight. TBH that’s the way I should be thinking as well. You should always want to be prepared to perform your best with your best equipment- even if that means investing in duplicate equipment. I mean I must have 3 or 4 cloned hard drives of my music catalog. So it only makes sense to have an equally capable backup computer.

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backup computer

I’m a retired IT guy, so I’m probably a little OCD when it comes to contingencies (backups). In my primary DJ system, I have two identical nano computers. One is my primary DJ computer, and the backup computer is used for other tasks (video, DMX light control, etc.), but also has Traktor and a copy of my music library. Both computers are powered up at all times, so switching to the backup is as simple as adjusting the volume of a mixer shared by both. I also have a backup (mini) controller attached to my backup computer. I’ve been wanting to get a controller with dual USB inputs that both computers can share live, but I’m currently kinda stuck with my rack setups which would not accommodate the size of a controller with the dual USB feature.

My secondary DJ system (I call it my Small System) has a Dell AIO computer as my main DJ computer, but my backup with that system is a Surface Pro tablet. Both computers are always running and routed through a shared mixer, making it simple to switch from one to another. I own a second Dell AIO computer, but switching it out at a gig would not be practical, and the tablet works fine in a pinch, though the screen size is not optimal. I decided that with my Small System I would risk not having an identical backup for the sake of portability.

I also keep a laptop PC in my minivan, and I keep an iPad handy for a third/fourth backup. The iPad can play via a Bluetooth connection to my mixer, and I sometimes use it to play a requested track from Spotify if someone requests something I don’t have in my library.

In my opinion, having identical computers is preferable, but given the cost of really good laptops, it’s not really practical. In five years of DJing I’ve NEVER had a complete computer failure. I had my laptop lock up on me at my very first gig, requiring a quick reboot. That’s why I now have a live backup at all times. However, it seems there’s a Murphy’s law in effect that if you have a backup computer on the ready, you’ll never need to use it, because I’ve never had to since that first gig.
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 12-18-2019 at 03:52 AM.