Thread: 2 EV ELX118P’s vs. 1 QSC KW181

2 EV ELX118P’s vs. 1 QSC KW181

Hello everyone,

I’ve owned a pair of the EV’s for quite some time and rarely use them both at the same time. I’ve read that one QSC KW181 will out perform a pair of the 118P’s. I’ve been impressed with the sound of the EV’s and am aware of their perceived limitations. However is one KW181 that good that it outshines two 118p’s?

I know we have some experienced and knowledgable members on this forum so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Compare the displacement of the drivers, T/S spec Vd. Whichever totals higher will have more maximum output. The trick lies in getting the driver specs. I guess it's possible that the QSC driver has more than twice the Vd as the pair of EV drivers, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Compare the displacement of the drivers, T/S spec Vd. Whichever totals higher will have more maximum output. The trick lies in getting the driver specs. I guess it's possible that the QSC driver has more than twice the Vd as the pair of EV drivers, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Thanks Bill. I will have to do a deep dive for the specs. I’m really relying on the experience of the forum members. I normally wouldn’t bet on one 18” sub outperforming two 18” subs unless the two 18’s were very subpar. However I’ve been proven wrong and I’ve heard some great things about the QSC sub.

With that being said has anyone made a similar swap of two 18” subs for one?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

It's going to depend on what your definition of outperform is, the QSC is well known for getting loud but also for not going particularly low. Everything else being equal a pair of subs is 6dB louder than a single so it usually takes a much more efficient box design(horn loaded) or 4 times more amp power for a single sub to be significantly louder than a single, but horns are 1.5 - 2 times larger than a reflex sub and there aren't really any drivers that can handle 4kw continuously. The KW181 is just another reflex sub so I kind of doubt it gets louder than a pair of ELX 118s at subwoofer frequencies, but both of those boxes are old designs now so maybe it is time for a real upgrade. For that I suggest you look at the EV EKX18sp, I have not compared them directly but my gut feeling is it gets just as loud as the KW181 but goes lower and is 20lbs lighter, that might just be enough of a step up to give you a one sub solution.
    Last edited by conanski; 12-16-2019 at 12:57 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks Conaski! Those are very valid points that are worthy of consideration. I will check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    there aren't really any drivers that can handle 4kw continuously.
    Not many can handle 1kW either. It's rumored by some that the KW181 uses the Celestion FTR18-4080FD. If that's the case it's mechanically limited to about 400 watts at 50Hz. An other source says it's the 4080HDX. If true its mechanical limit is higher, 600 watts, but it also doesn't go as low. There are eighteens that can take 1kW continuous both electrically and mechanically, and go low, but you're not going to find them used at the KW181 price point.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum