Thread: Looking for a replacement Amp/mixer that will work with my current setup

Looking for a replacement Amp/mixer that will work with my current setup

Hey all. I figured coming to a DJ forum would be my best bet to get answers as I am not too familiar with Amp systems. This setup is going on a Party / Head boat for fishing. We currently have 12 speakers running of this system and then we have a long wired microphone ran up top to where the wheel house is for the captain to give announcements. Our current amp / mixer is a "show PA-41000" it appears the speakers are run into a bust bar in groups of 4 and then one wire ran from the bust bar to the the channels at the top right of the amp / mixer. There is 3 total bust bars for a total of 12 speakers. Check out pics I posted.

Pretty much, the issue we are having is after speaking into the microphone for about 15 seconds, the audio is cutting out. We have replaced the microphone 2 or 3 times with no better results. The same issue occurs.

My question is, what type of system do I need to replace this current amp/ mixer. Im assuming the system is bad and possibly over heating?? Not sure. The only thing we need is for the microphone to work through all the speakers. And then we have a car style radio. (AM/FM/BT/CD player) So it needs to be able to play that. Currently, the radio is ran via an AV cable.

I have included some pictures to show the setup we have. This same setup has been on the boat for over 20 years.

Thank you in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NewLifer89; 02-15-2020 at 03:20 PM.

That appears to be a 4 channel zone amplifier and you are only using 2 of the output channels. I think the problem is with the way the speakers are connected, four speakers in parallel is a 2ohm load(assuming 8ohm speakers) and not many amps will tolerate that so it is very likely you would have the same problem with a new amp unless the speaker wiring is changed. Do you know what the speakers are?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Question, does the speakers that you're using have transformers?
    If I had to play only for people who liked the music because they heard it on the radio, it wouldn't make me happy. -- David Guetta

It appears to be a poorly designed system.

Starting over is highly recommended.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]