Thread: Turntables or CDJ's? Decent turntables?

Turntables or CDJ's? Decent turntables?

Hello, I am trying to get back into home DJ'ing after a 20 odd year break. The last decks I owned were Gemini's. I never managed to get my hands on a set of Technics. I still have 2 boxes of mid 1990's vinyl but no decks. There appears to be a ot of changes since back then with the introduction of CDj's & controllers. I definitely want to stay well away from controllers & I am in two minds about CDj's. My heart is set on turntables due to the more hands on feel that you get with mechanical devices. So my first question is are turntables still a good option for getting back into home DJ'ing? I also have a 12 year old son who I would like to get started with mixing & he is showing an interest in scratching. I guess if he is wanting to try his hands on sctratching then turntables are definitely the way to go?

Then this leads me onto my second question. If I go for turntables is it still better to go for some second hand 1200's / 1210's? In the UK you are still looking at about 1k for a pair. I am not sure I feel comfortable paying this much for a pair of second hand decks that could be 20 to 30 years old. If I go for something cheaper & maybe newer what are my options? I have done a little bit of research & it appears that the super OEM turntables are decent? I have also thought about some Gemini PT2000 / PT2400 which keep popping up on ebay just to get me started again. I have also considered some Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB or Reloop RP-4000 / 6000. Maybe some Stanton STR8-150's? Or would it be best sticking with super OEM such as Reloop RP 7000 / 8000 or the Audio Technica AT-LP140XP.

I have also seen a good deal on some Pioneer PLX-500 with a Pioneer DJM-250Mk2 DJ Mixer & Rekordbox DJ and DVS Software all for £777

I literally have no idea what to do.

Any suggestions please apart from just get some 1200's

The 1210 prices have shot up on the UK, I monitor those from time to time and it's gone crazy. They really are going for minimum £7-800 these days.

I tried the super OEMS, I bought the Stantons 150, still went back to Technics after a few months because too much torque.

There are quite a few reports that Stantons go bad after a few years, including mushy/gluey buttons, so I'm glad I did not keep mine.

Pioneer PLX-500 with a Pioneer DJM-250Mk2 DJ Mixer & Rekordbox DJ and DVS Software all for £777
    Not bad, I'd give that a shot. But I also recommend to try before buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The 1210 prices have shot up on the UK, I monitor those from time to time and it's gone crazy. They really are going for minimum £7-800 these days.

I tried the super OEMS, I bought the Stantons 150, still went back to Technics after a few months because too much torque.

There are quite a few reports that Stantons go bad after a few years, including mushy/gluey buttons, so I'm glad I did not keep mine.

Not bad, I'd give that a shot. But I also recommend to try before buying.
    Yeah you are lucky to get a pair for less than £800 but in really good condition you are looking at over a grand.
    This is what I am considering at the moment from what I would consider the best to budget:
    Audio Technica LP140XP DJ Turntables (Pair) + RM416 Mixer £869
    Numark NTX1000 DJ Turntables + M6 USB Mixer £735
    Reloop RP4000 MK2 DJ Turntables + RMX-60 Mixer £799
    Reloop RP-4000 MK2 & RMX-22i £725
    Reloop RP2000MK2 DJ Turntables + RMX-22i Mixer £629

Stanton T.62 MK2 Turntables (Pair) + Numark M101 Mixer + Deckadance DVS software £399

In your position I would get a DJ-Tech DIF-M2, the cheapest Super-OEMs you can find, plus some ortofons.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

If you can afford 1200's, get some. 1200's will continue to go up in value, or at least hold their value, and they seem to run forever. Everything else will go down in value.

I'll never buy CD decks I started on Technics in 1993 and still use them, I nowadays use Native Instruments Traktor Scratch Pro but use timecoded vinyl i'll never give up the turntable, vinyl element of dj'ing. I tried CD decks a few years agoi and they felt like toys I didn't like them.