Thread: KRK 12s Active Studio Sub 'Rumbling and Popping'

KRK 12s Active Studio Sub 'Rumbling and Popping'

I have a KRK 12s as" Active Studio Sub. Its approx. 3 years old.

For the last few weeks this has beening happening:

• After about 5-10 mins of being switched on its makes a very low rumbling earth noise
    •*When switching off you get a failry loud 'pop' noise

I have tried removing any leads/cables plugged into it and removed the power supply for a few minutes but it still pops loudly when turning off without anything plugged into it.
    I have read the coils can get damaged from this popping.

Is there any reason why it doing this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JayLong View Post
    Is there any reason why it doing this?
    The amp module or power supply has a problem, it will need servicing or replacement.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    The amp module or power supply has a problem, it will need servicing or replacement.
    Will get it looked at or see if KRK will do anything about it.

Is there any reason or just age. I generally leave it turned on, but its not used constantly but connected to a computer which is on 24 hours. Could this have caused the problem or is there numerous reasons it could have happened.

Thanks.

Some capacitors are shot. The lower noise you're hearing is them running out of puff, and unable to regulate the current going through. Which in turn creates a popping noise when switched, simply because the capacitor is unable to filter that.

Just avoid using it for now if indeed you don't want to pop the speakers.

The good news is, it should be straightforward enough to service, contact a local electronics engineer if you know one. Hope that helps.

I generally leave it turned on I generally leave it turned on, but its not used constantly but connected to a computer which is on 24 hours. Could this have caused the problem or is there numerous reasons it could have happened.
    It could have reduced the life of the capacitor, or maybe they took a hit from a surge or something etc. I don't think the computer caused this.

Generally speaking, leaving on is better than switching on/off all the time. Having spent a lot of time in the studio, a lot of them leave everything on, due to sound quality being optimal when the equipment is warm.

If you want to open it, go have a look at the bottom, and search for a black capacitor, running around 1000 microfarad at 35 volt. If it's bulged, it's shot.

This is inside a KRK 5, but that will give you an idea. Capacitor in there is bulged up, and you can see the one next to it still flat as it should.

Last edited by Manu; 11-23-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Thanks for the advise, really helpfull.

I will switch off for now and take a look in the week when I have some spare time.

Cheers.