Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha DZR 12s

Yamaha DZR 12s

Hi,

Just wanting to know if anyone has had a chance to listen to the Yamaha DZR 12s yet ??
    The specs seem pretty spectacular ?

Cheers Luddo

Moved to amps / speakers
    Ya gotta love corn, it's one of the only foods that says good-bye.

Rep owed: DTR, Pete, KLH, mitchiemasha,

OK any body heard the Yamaha DZR 12 s yet ???

Cheers Luddo

Quote Originally Posted by Luddo View Post
    OK any body heard the Yamaha DZR 12 s yet ???

Cheers Luddo
    No but if the peak spl specs are to be believed then they're gonna be LOUD as f**k speaker cabs.

Don't believe them. If the woofer sensitivity is 98dB/w the most it can reach with the 850w amp is 127dB, and that assumes the woofer can handle 850w thermally and mechanically, which is a pipe dream. 124dB is the best it's likely to be capable in the real world. It's a bit disappointing to see Yamaha venture into Behringer territory by quoting peak figures.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    It's a bit disappointing to see Yamaha venture into Behringer territory by quoting peak figures.
    I agree because they've not only had a good reputation with pro-audio equipment, but also hi-fi equipment, and musical instruments.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Yamaha isn't alone in exaggerating specs they all do it now, but I am starting to see evidence that something surprising is happening in the way amp power specs are reported for powered speakers from the major manufacturers. With the entry level boxes the specs are always overstated... hilariously overstated in some cases, but as you move up the lines the situation reverses so that they actually understate how much power is on hand in the top series. Both the JBL SRX and Yamaha DSR series have established a solid reputation for getting really loud, much louder in fact than the raw specs suggest is possible. And out there in the real world the 1300w DSRs(later updated to 1500w) will totally outrun a 1500w JBL PRX, these boxes are right up there with the SRX800 in SPL. The new DZRs are rated for even more SPL than the DSR yet they have the same amp power ratings, if that were true then more SPL simply wouldn't be possible without much more efficient drivers but as far as I know there has not been a quantum leap in driver design made recently, so the only option left is that there is actually more power in these boxes than what they say.
    Last edited by conanski; 01-20-2020 at 12:05 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Don't believe them. If the woofer sensitivity is 98dB/w the most it can reach with the 850w amp is 127dB, and that assumes the woofer can handle 850w thermally and mechanically, which is a pipe dream. 124dB is the best it's likely to be capable in the real world. It's a bit disappointing to see Yamaha venture into Behringer territory by quoting peak figures.
    I've read a lot on these forums before even before I joined and you always seem very quick to badmouth other manufacturer's speakers while praising your own and acting like your speakers are the best in the world. Sorry if that sounds offensive but you do Bill. Sorry to be so blunt Bill but if you'd looked at the specs properly you'd see that Yamaha don't state it can output 139db continuously it states peaks of 139db so their PEAK SPL figures are correct. They measure the peak SPL by pausing pink nose and then pressing play and taking a peak SPL reading. Yamaha haven't listed false SPL figures they list peak spl, you're on about continuous SPL, continuous SPL output will be much lower, about 6db or more depending how much power compression the cabs suffer from. But Yamaha like I said weren't listening false specs. peak SPL and continuous SPL are different Bill and you know that.
    Last edited by Fred-Dibna; 01-20-2020 at 04:01 AM.

Show me an instance where I've said anything about my speakers here other than when answering a direct question from someone. It's never happened.

Yes, Yamaha says it's a peak 139dB. That's useless information. When's the last time you played bursts of pink noise? What's useful is long term continuous SPL, which they don't mention anywhere. To their credit they do state the actual long term RMS capability of the amps, but nowhere do they mention the thermal or mechanical capacity of the drivers.

If you don't care to see my opinions about gear, which are based purely on engineering fact devoid of any advertising hype, I suggest you put me on your ignore list.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

PPO listing on the box of an item is usually the sign of a really low-grade product. Like a tabletop stereo system with 3"full-range speakers.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.