Thread: Behringer DR-115 DSP - "Limit" on Display

Behringer DR-115 DSP - "Limit" on Display

Hi all,

I just purchased a pair of Behringer DR - 115 DSP'S and got to try them out today.

Very nice sounding speakers and a lot of control with the DSP in terms to EQ's and crossovers etc.

I'm a bit confused though in regards the limiting applied to this speaker it seems to display LIMIT on the LCD randomly. It's doesn't matter what level the input is at it will say LIMIT at low volumes and at high.
    This is annoying as honestly I don't know where the true limit is of the speaker.

I'm running from Pioneer decks via XLR to the Behringer. volume on the Pioneer is at 12 OClock and the output meter reads -16db or so . Input gain is at 12 oclock and the volume on the LCD is at 0DB on the Behringer.

There is an input meter which monitors input on the LCD of the Behringer and this is 1/4 of the way full when playing something through the speaker, I feel I'm nowhere near clipping either.

I'm wondering if anyone could either shed light on any similar situations like this they had or if (God forbid) I should send the speakers back.

Never heard of those speakers until this thread so I don't have any experience with them but I will offer a few thoughts anyway.

One one hand seeing what may appear to be premature limiting may not be anything to worry about, this is becoming more common with many powered speakers as manufacturers pack more and more power inside. The DSP will incorporate several types of protection and the limiting will come on in stages.. some of which may appear to be for no reason. With a well designed system there is usually no audible distortion when this happens and you are safe to ignore it. If you get a limiting indication along with clipping or thermal warnings then you are at the design limits of the system, if that doesn't produce enough SPL then you need different/better speakers.

Behringer makes high value products, they are generally pretty reliable but their speaker systems in general have not been the greatest.
    The 1400w power rating on this box is quite likely exaggerated, all the manufacturers do this now but figuring out how much can be difficult until you have something to do a direct comparison with. I own a bunch of EV powered speakers now which have been quite good to me, one of the boxes is the ZLX12p which is rated at 1000w and another is the EKX12p rated at 1300w. That should not be enough of a power difference to make didly squat difference in max output but in the real world the EKX stomps all over the other box... not even close. That and some other things I have learned about the ZLX leads me to now believe this is a 500w box and the 1000w advertised spec is pure BS. I still like these speakers and typically use the ZLX's with a powered sub, deployed that way they sound quite good and get plenty loud.

On the other hand those boxes could have a design fault, if only one box was exhibiting this behavour easy enough but if both are doing it you have to wonder. There is precedent for this theory with Behringer unfortunately, the VMX1000 DJ mixer had a bad design flaw with the mic input making it essentially useless, and more recently it appears the Turbosound IP series column loudspeakers have serious sound quality issues. So it wouldn't be inconceivable that something isn't right with these boxes.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Sound for the reply Paul.

I've stopped looking at the WATTS ratings for speakers awhile a go. For these I looked into the SPL in respect to my old speakers (JBL EON 10S).

I hope its just some subtle limiting that goes on when the speaker see's peaks in its input volume. I'm ultimately just worried I will fry the speaker over time if its displaying this and its so obvious on the LCD.
    The joys of buying a newly released speaker I suppose. They were in stock on Thomann a week ago when I was buying now it has been changed to "On Request" whether thats due to a defect or they actually sold out.

I have a gig tomorrow night so I will see how they handle.

Hopefully some more info appears online in regards to these boxes.

Thanks for the reply much appreciated!

Michael D
    SOUNDCLOUD: https://soundcloud.com/yaboymichaeld

If the speakers still sound clean when this is happening and do get louder when the levels are pushed up more then you're probably OK. Have you flogged them for all they are worth yet? That is the thing with modern powered speakers you should be able to pretty much drive them with impunity and not suffer any damage.

And what is your source material? Is it purchased tracks, your own stuff, or downloaded tracks of unknown origin? Downloads can have all kinds of glitches and junk in them that isn't always audible but can trip DSP protection.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com