Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im interested in some speakers. I need help planning this pls

Im interested in some speakers. I need help planning this pls

Hi forum

I need to upgrade my speakers and am interested in passive type.

I already have my mind set on few speakers. I just need help in deciding which to go with and how to set it up. Also in the future im interested in buying a sub. So i would need help in maybe setting it up. I already have an idea on which sub i want.

Equipment i own
    Kam KXR1000 Amplifier

Equipment im thinking of buying
    Jbl Jrx 225 or Cerwin Vega CVP 1152X ?
    Cerwin Vega CVP 118X Subwoofer

My question
    If i brought a pair of Jbl Jrx225 speakers. Could i connect this to the Kam KXR1000 amp?

If yes, how would i connect the CVP 118X subwoofer to that?

Hi.

Can I start by asking why you want to buy passive speakers? Be honest and how will this system be used, are you a mobile DJ or is this a personal use system that will stay put?
    I ask this because in this day and age you will be missing out on all the advancements made in powered speaker systems in the last 20yrs and limiting the expansion potential of your system.
    And you are about to make the same mistake nearly all DJs make when purchasing their first speaker system, you are buying with your eyes and selecting big "impressive" looking double 15's. Three problem with these..
    - they are entry level double 15's the absolute worst type of speaker because of the driver compliment and layout.
    - despite their size they don't really go that low so subs will be needed anyway.
    - and once you add subs these will effectively become mid/high boxes and for small scale applications there is no need of a double 15s for that.

And it gets better, yes you could use the amp you own to power these boxes but a passive sub/s will require another amp and a crossover/processor, so now you have an amp rack to move along with the speakers.

But much depends on what you are planning to do with the system, for a mobile performer doing small to medium sized parties powered speakers are the way to go IMO but you have to buy-in at the prosumer level not entry level, these may look more expensive but if you factor in the cost of the amplifiers and processing included they are actually quite cost effective.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Hello conanski

Thanks for your reply.

1. "Be honest and how will this system be used, are you a mobile DJ"

- I need a soundsystem for mobile djing and for personal use.
    - During the times when i will be using for personal use, neighbours are not a problem.

2. "I ask this because in this day and age you will be missing out on all the advancements made in powered speaker"

- I am open to the idea of buying powered speakers and i might just go towards this path. Question - I won't need a crossover/processor then?

3. "they are entry level double 15's"

- How do you know that they are entry level? Even tho you are correct. I did read somewhere that these Jrx speakers are entry level.

4. "- despite their size they don't really go that low so subs will be needed anyway"

- I really believe you on that.

Question - So i could get some speakers that concentrate on highs and mids. The seperate subwoofer i buy later will compliment the highs and mids. So i quite like this idea.

Could you recommend me some powered speakers conanski?

I really want a Cerwin Vega sub. It can be powered. That is fine.

- I have heard some Cerwin Vega subs before at a venue. They shook the hall with lots of bass.

I also have no idea on how to work crossover units and processors so in some cases you might have to walk me through each step once i have purchased the gear.
    Last edited by soundsystem; 11-02-2019 at 07:04 AM.

I agree with Conanski on all points. Do NOT get the JRX215 for the following reasons:

1. They are not just entry level.. they're just not very good.

2. Wrong type of speaker for mobile work because you will not be able to get them high enough. You need speakers that will go on a stand.

3. You don't need a dual 15 with a subwoofer in this kind of setup, a single 12 with one or two 15 or 18 inch sub's will give you far better results.

"Do NOT get the JRX215" - I think you meant Jrx225. The Jrx215 is smaller.

I like the idea of standing the speakers on the floor and not on a stand if that's okay.

So which powered + sub would you recommend?

Looks of the setup to me is also important.
    Last edited by soundsystem; 11-02-2019 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsystem View Post
    I like the idea of standing the speakers on the floor and not on a stand if that's okay.
    It's not OK. The main speakers must be elevated so that the high frequencies are projected just above head height. If you don't do this people in the back won't hear the highs, while people in the front will be deafened by them. 99.9% of the time the mains should not be placed on poles above subs, no matter what the advertising pictures show. Mains need to be placed well away from walls, subs should be placed very close to walls. You can't do both with the mains placed above the subs. Nor should subs be split left/right like mains, that leads to poor results. I say subs, plural, because you should have as many subs as you do mains. For equal output capability the speaker area and amp power of the subs should be four times that of the mains. That makes a pair of ten inch loaded mains and a pair of fifteen inch loaded subs a good match.
    As for looks, while they shouldn't look bad, consider that no one ever got a referral gig based on how good their speakers look.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Thank you Bill.

- I have heard some Cerwin Vega subs before at a venue. They shook the hall with lots of bass. .
    There are lots of venues and clubs with subs that can shake the walls but you won't achieve that with a single portable sub of any type so don't get too hung up on that idea or the Cerwin Vega brand. That company is not known for building high quality speakers anymore, chances are high that the subs you saw in the club don't have the original drivers in them anymore so the label on the outside doesn't mean too much.

So what are some good powered speaker options for you? On a tight budget I'd suggest a pair of EV ZLX12p's and a single EKX18sp sub, this is a good combo that I use on a regular basis that sounds good and has been 100% reliable. Yamaha DXR and JBL PRX are also good options in the same range as the EV EKX series, you can use a top box that is a little cheaper in a combo like this but you really can't cheap out on the subs.. they just won't last. And I like to provide a sub with more output than the tops for DJ apps, most genres these days have quite the bass boost so it's really needed. I had some Mackie speakers a few years ago that weren't a lot cheaper than these EV boxes but they all failed.. 100%. That is now wasted money because these have very low resale value, had to pretty much give them away after they were repaired. Don't make the same mistake.
    Last edited by conanski; 11-02-2019 at 01:16 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

"I'd suggest a pair of EV ZLX12p's and a single EKX18sp sub"

Sounds good to me. Thank you.

Few questions, what is the rms of the speakers and sub?

The sub looks interesting, i wonder how good this is.

I had a Jbl Jrx125 before, it sounded awesome, but i felt like the bass was not enough for me. Like you mentioned earlier, despite their size they don't go that low.

I won't need no crossover seperate unit for this set up will i?
    Last edited by soundsystem; 11-02-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Few questions, what is the rms of the speakers and sub?
    It really doesn't matter because that is just one factor in determining how loud a speaker can get, but a safe bet is half of the published peak rating.

The sub looks interesting, i wonder how good this is.
    It is very good, gets loud and goes low.

I had a Jbl Jrx125 before, it sounded awesome,
    Well.. you're in for a treat because those JBLs really don't sound that good, the high frequency output in particular is pretty poor.

These EV powered speakers have all the processing you need built in, you just select the preset that best suits the current use and daisy chain some XLR cables between the boxes. That is one of the benefits of powered speakers, your whole system can be as simple as just the speaker boxes and your controller as long as it has XLR main outputs.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com