Thread: How to set audio CUE levels with DDJ-SX Is it my music, my cue settings or just me.

Question How to set audio CUE levels with DDJ-SX Is it my music, my cue settings or just me.

Hello All I am very new to mixing and seem to be having a problem hearing the beats of both songs at the same time. I am trying to rely on my ears and less on the visual beats. Here is what I am doing

I have my DDJ playing one song I have the Center button [MASTER] selected when listening to my headphones. the song I want to beatmatch to is is on deck 2 so I press the [CUE] button on that deck and try adjusting the levels to hear both songs.
    I am having a problem picking up the beat of each song to match them. Is the problem with me picking and leaving the [MASTER] and [CUE] on the decks I want to bring in? Should I practice removing the [MASTER] button? Could this be just a fact of the music I am trying to mix, since it could be any type of music genre. Songs with long intros of a single beat dont seem to be as much of a problem but songs with lots of various sounds confuse me.

Any Suggestions to what I am doing if any of what I said makes sense?
    Thank you,

There are three ways to do this:

1) Listen to the playing track in the speakers and the new track in the headphones. This is the 'classic' way to do it.

2) Listen to the playing track in one ear, and the new track in the other ear. This is called "split cue", not every mixer or controller can do it.. some can. Personally this drives my brain insane and does not work at all for me, but I guess some people like it.

3) Listen to both tracks in both ears, which is what you are doing. This is how I do it almost 100% of the time. And yea, it can be hard to tell the tracks apart, especially when you are first learning. But when they are matched, it's REALLY obvious. What you should try is EQing the new track so that the kick really pops over the other track. I usually turn (on the new track), the highs all the way down, the mids pretty far up, and just a touch of bass if needed. And that results in being able to really clearly hear the new beat on top of the currently playing track. Also, use the cue/master knob to adjust the volume of the old track to the new in your headphones.

Of course when you are ready to mix in the new track you have to put your eq's back in the right position before you start to bring up the fader on that track.

Thank you once again Light-o-matic once again you have provided guidance for me. I will try adjusting and EQing to resolve my issue.
    I also want to say I have only posted a few times to the forum and each time you have helped and provided information. Thank you for your help.