Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Almost new laptop time

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post

Passmark scores in the 8000's and up are common these days but not necessarily cheap. Here's a list of common laptop CPU's from highest to lowest passmark:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/laptop.html
    Nice links.

Coolio.
    So my passmark of 12398 is gud 4 minesweepa?

Thats at 2.2Ghz, so it shows Ghz aint the be-all and end-all.

Especially since my laptop is smoked by 10710U with a lower TDP and 1.1Ghz.

Anyways...Gotta get in them bragging rights while I still can, technology never stop progressing faster than my wallet.
    Last edited by pete; 10-28-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    technology never stop progressing faster than my wallet.
    a-men

The thing is, you don't need to run an antivirus and save yourself some computing power?

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    What like this... I'm currently selling on ebay.

Holy crap that thing looks like a power amp from the 1970s.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    I used rack-mount computers in my rack systems for a couple of years. They looked like this...
    ... They worked fine, but even at 1U, they took up space and were heavier than a laptop. They were also noisy. The cases were intended to be used as servers so I had to replace the fans with quieter ones.
    Audio computers are designed to be quite so I doubt you could hear the fans from a Rain computer unless it was a really quiet room.

I can only hear the cheap noisy fans from my regular desktop when the AC isn't running and I'm not playing any audio in my room.

Almost new laptop time

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    Audio computers are designed to be quite so I doubt you could hear the fans from a Rain computer unless it was a really quiet room.

I can only hear the cheap noisy fans from my regular desktop when the AC isn't running and I'm not playing any audio in my room.
    Like I said, the cases I bought were intended to be used as servers, so the manufacturers were more concerned about air flow than quietness. Replacing the fans was an easy solution. I chose the motherboards and other components and installed them myself. They all had onboard audio and graphics because there are no expansion slots in a 1U case. That’s not a big deal since my controllers are my sound cards. The onboard graphics drives two HD monitors. They actually make pretty good computers, but steel cases with desktop power supplies are HEAVY!!!

With two rack mounted computers and other audio gear, my Large Rack System was too heavy to lift by myself. I had to roll it in and out of the van on a ramp, and I couldn’t use it at a venue with stairs. The computers individually were not so heavy, but it all adds up. I finally rebuilt my Large System with a split rack arrangement, and made a concerted effort to reduce the weight at the same time. I replaced the computers with Nano PC’s that weigh a fraction of the rack-mounted ones. I made a number of other changes too, replacing steel drawers with aluminum, eliminating unnecessary components, and downsizing others. Now I can actually lift both sections of my stackable modular rack, and it’s more functional as well.😊
    Last edited by DJ Bobcat; 10-29-2019 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Bobcat View Post
    They actually make pretty good computers, but steel cases with desktop power supplies are HEAVY!!!

With two rack mounted computers and other audio gear, my Large Rack System was too heavy to lift by myself.
    I hadn't considered weight. Now it makes sense why rack-mounted audio computers are only used in studios.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    I hadn't considered weight. Now it makes sense why rack-mounted audio computers are only used in studios.
    That Carillon thing I posted is a tank. Heaviest sturdiest steel I've ever know for a PC case.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Nice links.

Coolio.
    So my passmark of 12398 is gud 4 minesweepa?

Thats at 2.2Ghz, so it shows Ghz aint the be-all and end-all.
    The thing to consider is... we're using audio, so tick the single core performance option. 1 stream of audio can't be slit across multiple threads, different streams can... but any FX across multiple will mean the other core would have to wait. DAWS can take advantage of this but VDJ, other DJ software does not. VDJ has somewhat clever programming, when using batch scan, that will run on 1 core, whilst the audio is on the other. Lot's of slow cores can result in good bench marks but are completely useless for audio, especially with super tight buffers.

Same as Hyperthreading is less of an advantage the tighter the ASIO buffer. The tech that figures out the HT isn't fast enough to compete, to give an advantage. Up until recently, many had to turn HT off due to it causing glitches, ASIO spikes at low CPU usage. If you're using a large ASIO Buffer, the HT has plenty of time and can really start to shine, taking advantage of the other cores that might not be getting maxed out, where as the other audio chain is.

When it comes to audio there's another site that's similar to Passmark and Userbenchmark but i forget the site, they do actual audio bench tests which is usually overlooked by everybody else.

Edit: DAWBENCH http://www.dawbench.com/ Scan pro do a lot of testing http://www.scanproaudio.info/
    Last edited by mitchiemasha; 10-29-2019 at 02:29 PM.

With a turbo at 4.1Ghz and some extra-terrestrial cooling system going on, I think I'll probably be covered for the Mixmeister and Torq (lol) that I use.
    Although in the future I want to buy a keyboard and get back into Cubase.
    But yeah, I agree that for serious use - a properly configured desktop is the way forward.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix