Thread: Trying to get back into it

Trying to get back into it

I'm trying to get back into DJing. I have a family so I'm limited financially. We had a house fire and we lost everything but sadly we had no insurance since it was a rental.djing is my true passion so I'm trying to get back to it but I'm very limited financially so all I have is my Android cell phone and I'm considering the reloop mixtour. From what I read you can use it with an Android phone but would it really be easy and since I lost my laptop in the fire alarm feel like that's my only option and I only have around $300 to spend on a controller and only have my phone. My phone is a motor optima Maxx so will it work? I know it doesn't have platters but I just have to cope with that and nudge with my phone using djay2....so what do you think? I'm only looking to DJ for myself in the bedroom so any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you're limited budget, why not look on ebay etc.

Hey, welcome. Sorry to hear about your house, glad nobody got hurt! Well.. the bad news is that I think your phone will not work for this.. because it does not have OTG support. which is what you need to be able to plug a controller into it. You'd need a better phone. But I do think that you can somehow get back into DJing for $300, if you shop around. For example the Hercules RMX controllers are selling for as little as 20 bucks! Hercules RMX2 for under 100... Here's a link to a page that lists ALL the controllers that work with DJay.. shop around and see what you can get.... Then, if you want to stick with the Djay idea.. you are going to need a tablet.. you can probably make that happen for around $150 used.. maybe a Galaxy Tab S2... Or, just eff it, get yourself a used laptop. For example, here's a used Thinkpad X230 with a 250GB SSD that sold for $145..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ThinkPad-X2...p2047675.l2557

This is around an 8 year old machine but I have one, and I've run Traktor on it.. it works fine! So yea, for $300 you don't need to scrape the bottom of the barrel.. you can pick up a good condition slightly older controller and ditto an older computer and still have enough money leftover for a decent pair of budget headphones....

Here's the page that lists all the controllers that work with djay.. not that you are gonna necessarily stick with djay, but if you want the option, it's not a bad idea to check out the controllers on this list, see what you can afford in good condition used for let's say $50-$100.. that leaves you enough for a tablet or laptop. https://www.algoriddim.com/hardware
    Last edited by light-o-matic; 10-19-2019 at 11:53 PM.

Also... Virtual DJ is free for home use.

dJay is great.. you don't need a controller really to start with.

Ive done some pretty cool.mixes just using DJay and my phone.

Before you spend money on a controller, download the (free) dJay app on your phone, make sure it works and get used to using it for a few weeks.

You will also have a better appreciation of what you need controller-wise if you are used to using the app.

As for tunes... dJay links with Spotify so just need a Spotify premium account. There are usually some offers around for new account holders if you don't already have one.