Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried to record a DJ Set on an iPhone XS Max using XDJ RX2 Controller?

Has anyone tried to record a DJ Set on an iPhone XS Max using XDJ RX2 Controller?

Hey guys,

I was thinking of starting to upload some videos of DJing and need to record the sets on my iPhone XS Max which will be positioned on a stand

Can anyone advise which cables I need to have the best sound recorded (only the music), so far all my attempts have been recording the music with background music

I also have an XDJ RX2 which only has one RCA Output, but I do belive I can use the Monitor jacks outputs.

Any help would be great because Im now fed up watching videos and reading what to buy, only for it not to work

Just a simple wire up from my Mixer to the iPhone and what is required in between

IIRC, the iPhone (and even other phones) don't have an input without using a sound interface. While I have an Android phone, I've been able to use an external interface to record line-level audio from a mixer.

I wound up buying a Tascam DR-05 recorder because it was easier to just connect and record... and I could use my phone!

Sent from my SHT-W09 using Tapatalk
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I got the same problem. And as KLH said, you cant record without an interface. You would need something like this https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigstream/

Thanks guys, I actually watched this guy on YouTube and thought that’s exactly what I need

https://youtu.be/SubTUybqaaU

Have all the leads he stated,
    the output Monitor jacks (left and right) to the 3.5mm (because I’m already using the only RCA output to the speakers),
    then into the TRS female to TRRS male jack,
    then into the iPhone plug

lo and behold...it still didn’t work!!

So I don’t know how on earth he managed to get it working...
    Last edited by Leebroath; 10-14-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Edit

Had a look at the iRig and would that then allow my video to be stored in Stereo, on my iPhone XS Max?

Also looked at Amazon in UK and noticed this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/IK-Multimed...1085282&sr=8-9

Is the Duo the same as what CarlNapp posted a link to and would that be in stereo recording or Mono?
    Last edited by Leebroath; 10-14-2019 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Edit

Quote Originally Posted by Leebroath View Post
    lo and behold...it still didn’t work!!
    It didn't work because that's not what 3.5mm headphone jacks do. On phones, the headphone jack (USB or otherwise) has 3 channels: Stereo output and a mic input. That's why they use TRRS. If you use a TRS cable with it, you'll get ONLY the stereo output.

Said differently, if you use a TRRS cable with the TRRS headphone jack, you'll only get a mono signal in to record. So why bother? This solution is horrible.

Use a sound interface or a dedicated device.
    -KLH
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Ok thanks KLH

I’ve contacted IK Multimedia and asked when the iRig Stream will be avail...

Just as I’m writing this, they have replied on FB Messenger and said ‘early November’

Would the iRig Duo not work instead of just wait for the Stream version?

Quote Originally Posted by Leebroath View Post
    Ok thanks KLH

I’ve contacted IK Multimedia and asked when the iRig Stream will be avail...

Just as I’m writing this, they have replied on FB Messenger and said ‘early November’

Would the iRig Duo not work instead of just wait for the Stream version?
    The irig stream seems to be exactly what you want. If you don't want to wait, get the duo.

I strongly suggest looking at that Tascam DR-05 though.
    -KLH

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    I strongly suggest looking at that Tascam DR-05 though.
    He wants to do video, not just audio. Otherwise the tascam would be a better option.

Yes I want to record a video on my iPhone XS Max with only the music

At present in only getting recording video with the ambient sounds including the music, which sounds rubbish