Thread: FL Studio 20 v Ableton

FL Studio 20 v Ableton

Hey,

As per my previous posts I've recently purchased FL Studio 20, it's amazing to be fair. However because i'm totally new to production (techno is my thing) I'm finding that most of the tutorials on YouTube that i'm using for learning material are all based in Ableton!! What a mare. So i'm having great difficulty in transferring and replicating what i'm trying to follow and learn into FL Studio! It's basically slowing my learning down loads.

Obviously it's early days and I won't let it deter me from learning to produce, I just want to make things as easy for myself as possible.

So my question is, do you think it's worth me jumping over to Ableton? Or should I stick with Fruity Loops?

Cheers

unfortunate that's a personal decision you need to make. However, I will say that you shouldn't move to a new DAW just because you find more instructional videos for that 1 software. If you really want to stick with FL, look for a community specific to that program and get more detailed help there.

My choice to move to Ableton was more because I found it easier to use that what I decided to start with - Reason. It was an awesome DAW but I couldn't wrap my head around it and it was a huge learning curve for me. I think it was because it was designed for producers moving from hardware to software and that was not my background.

When I tried out Live and instantly felt more familiar with the layout and setup. Granted it was way back when it was just getting popular and before YouTube was flooded with with tutorials and maybe I would have went straight to Live instead of Reason but i'm glad I got to try out more than 1 DAW.

Since you're new to FL, I would suggest downloading a few of the free trials out there (including Live) and see if any standout to you. But, if you're already comfortable with FL, stick with it and just learn by doing/trying things out. That will help you develop your own style instead of redoing what you see in a tutorial.

Ye I'm going to have a good think. Fl20 does some amazing stuff, but just looking at the workflow on YouTube I just think somehow it would suit me better. Plus maybe I'm wrong but from I gather it seems to be the go to for techno producers? Most tutorials appear to be in Ableton anyway.

Having to create a new pattern everytime time I want to add something extra, not even close to creating a full track yet but I can forsee things getting messy fast!

FL is great though so many positives. I really like the FL Plugins and built in kicks and percussion for example?

What are the built in Plugins and kicks, percussion, hats, snares like in Ableton? Are there plenty?

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post

What are the built in Plugins and kicks, percussion, hats, snares like in Ableton? Are there plenty?
    A simple google search would answer that, and the answer is more than you can handle. FL vs Ableton is like LEGO toys vs mortar and bricks.

Besides, you would not want to look at boat tutorials on youtube to fly a plane. If you want to learn the software, it's better to read the manual, rather than trying to replicate on one software what is someone else doing using another software on youtube. I'm sorry but the square peg into the round hole approach only gets someone so far.

I just want to make things as easy for myself as possible.
    Well the bad news is, it's not easy. Production techniques have to be learned. You don't wrap your head around things like compression, limiting, bussing, filtering, sequencing, editing, dynamics, MIDI velocity, noise shaping, multi layering, sound staging, etc... Just in days. It takes years, and a piece of software won't learn all that for you.

https://cdn-resources.ableton.com/re...0manual_en.pdf

Hey Manu, thanks for the reply. I'll check out the link and Ableton website. Having a quick look it does seem quite epic!!

Just to be clear I am literally starting right from the beginning at square one. I have a tiny bit of music theory from djing and that's about it. I'm definitely not looking for any quick fixes and understand it will take years and years! I'm only using YouTube tutorials as a starter to get the ball rolling! I'm in my early 30s and have always loved music. I'm honestly in no rush to learn and am in it for the long haul, i'm certainly not expecting overnight results, far from it. I also feel its a perfect addition to djing, just wish I maybe started a bit sooner.

I really am looking forward to getting started and progressing over the next few years! Everyone starts somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
    I also feel its a perfect addition to djing, just wish I maybe started a bit sooner.
    I hear you! I felt the same way when I started.