Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some MP3s Wont Play in Car MP3 Player

Some MP3s Wont Play in Car MP3 Player

I have about a couple of hundred MP3's on a thumb drive & stuck it in a AM/FM/MP3 player in the truck. Most will play. However about 10 or so of them wont. All of the 200+/- ARE MP3's.
    I took the one's that wont play & put them on another thumb drive & they still wont play in the truck player.
    They will play on the PC through multiple DJ/software players.

Any of you guru's have any idea of a simple fix or answer? I searched the internet & most of them were discussing codes & how to change codes. A few were discussing tags... & removing them. There were a few other simple things like Apple vs PC..... FLAC, MP3, MP4 etc & the differences in formats although all files show as MP3. It was all too complicated for me to focus on.

Some were discussing how the formats &/or coding change when being transferred or downloaded form one source to the other.... again, even though the file was/is indeed ... MP3.
    I know I have had brides give me special mixes that they, or a friend put together (for their personal special dances etc) & they were tagged as MP3's but wouldn't play in my DJ software. This has happened about 2 or 3 times in 17 years. I'd say 99% of the time, there have been no issues but some MP3s wont play in my DJ software after transfers or production work.

So, while there were many discussions on the internet about the issue, most was in old threads & nothing recent. The MP3 player I tried these in, is probably less than 18 - 24 moths old at production date. Its in a 2019 vehicle.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

Try opening them up in VLC Player (it's free) on your computer. Right click, select Info, then Codec tab.
    That'll tell you a bunch about the encoding and then maybe you can spot something in common between them.

Thanks LOM. I'll give that a try.

Computers are much more adept at file management. Car stereos are much more finicky. For example:

* Most also only recognize the format FAT32 file system for USBs flash drives.
    * Most only allow 2 levels deep for folders/directories.
    * Some (older stereos) can't handle VBR formatted MP3s.

I say keep it simple. Check that the file system format of the USB flash drive in File Explorer (right click on the drive letter -> Properties -> General tab) is FAT32. You'll see the file system listed there. If you need to reformat, then copy all MP3s off of the flash drive, reformat, and copy them back.

Dump all MP3s into the top level folder - so that there aren't other folders.

You should be good to go. If there's still a problem, I'd get another flash drive.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

usually its the VBR issue that stops them playing.

however, I'm convinced that MP3s degrade over time, and always the ones I want to hear at that moment.
    they skip and it sounds awful.
    even if it goes against all science and fact, I'm sure it is the work of the devil.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

however, I'm convinced that MP3s degrade over time, and always the ones I want to hear at that moment.
    even if it goes against all science and fact, I'm sure it is the work of the devil.
    Your whatever memory device (SD card / USB etc) degrades over time. I have retired a few and have noticed an average 10 year lifespan on flash drives.

VBR
    Last edited by Manu; 10-08-2019 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I have about a couple of hundred MP3's on a thumb drive & stuck it in a AM/FM/MP3 player in the truck. Most will play. However about 10 or so of them wont. All of the 200+/- ARE MP3's.
    I took the one's that wont play & put them on another thumb drive & they still wont play in the truck player.
    They will play on the PC through multiple DJ/software players.

Any of you guru's have any idea of a simple fix or answer? I searched the internet & most of them were discussing codes & how to change codes. A few were discussing tags... & removing them. There were a few other simple things like Apple vs PC..... FLAC, MP3, MP4 etc & the differences in formats although all files show as MP3. It was all too complicated for me to focus on.

Some were discussing how the formats &/or coding change when being transferred or downloaded form one source to the other.... again, even though the file was/is indeed ... MP3.
    I know I have had brides give me special mixes that they, or a friend put together (for their personal special dances etc) & they were tagged as MP3's but wouldn't play in my DJ software. This has happened about 2 or 3 times in 17 years. I'd say 99% of the time, there have been no issues but some MP3s wont play in my DJ software after transfers or production work.

So, while there were many discussions on the internet about the issue, most was in old threads & nothing recent. The MP3 player I tried these in, is probably less than 18 - 24 moths old at production date. Its in a 2019 vehicle.

Another thing to check for is to see if those ten are 44khz and not 48khz or some other number. May not matter in newer players but just another thing to check for.

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    Computers are much more adept at file management. Car stereos are much more finicky. For example:

* Most also only recognize the format FAT32 file system for USBs flash drives.
    * Most only allow 2 levels deep for folders/directories.
    * Some (older stereos) can't handle VBR formatted MP3s.

I say keep it simple. Check that the file system format of the USB flash drive in File Explorer (right click on the drive letter -> Properties -> General tab) is FAT32. You'll see the file system listed there. If you need to reformat, then copy all MP3s off of the flash drive, reformat, and copy them back.

Dump all MP3s into the top level folder - so that there aren't other folders.

You should be good to go. If there's still a problem, I'd get another flash drive.
    The drive is formatted as FAT32.

The files are not in folders, they're just dumped on the drive.

I took those 10 or so files & copied them to a 2nd thumb drive & they dont play off that drive either. A couple of others do, but those don't.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

I am not up on "VBR" so I cant say anything for or against your thoughts. As for degrading, remember, they do play fine on other software on the computer. Doesnt mean they arent degraded to the point they wont play in the radio but.....

Quote Originally Posted by c-hawk View Post
    Another thing to check for is to see if those ten are 44khz and not 48khz or some other number. May not matter in newer players but just another thing to check for.
    Can you tell me how to check the khz on these?