Thread: Potentiometers

Potentiometers

Hello everyone, a newbe here.

I'm in the process of converting my mixer to rotary and I have a reading of 99.9k with my multimeter set to 100k from my dual up faders, and I was hoping someone could tell me if I need dual 50k or dual 100k pots?

Appreciated
    John.

Hi, sorry, what sort of "k" are we talking about here? And what mixer, some may be able to give you some tips...

Normally, you replace it with something of the same value, there should be one printed somewhere
    Last edited by Manu; 10-07-2019 at 02:24 PM.

The 'k' stands for 'thousand' in Ohms restisance.
    Setting my multimeter at 200k Ohms I have a reading of 99,9.
    The faders are stamped Alps on the end and have the number '635c' on the side, I've googled that number but can not find anything, I've also dismanteled the faders and there are no other markings anywhere. The mixer is a Denon and my question is, if the dual faders are rated @ 100k should I be replacing them with 100k dual pots, or 50k dual pots? If I can get over this hurdle i'm good to go.
    Just one other question, The slide faders that I'm replacing are Linear and do I need to stick with linear pots or could I go Log? would they work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by 3YB; 10-07-2019 at 03:18 PM.

If they are dual 100k pots, you should replace them with the same value. Otherwise you might end up with a weird curve or they might not be completely silent when set to the 0 mark. Same with linear vs log, you might end up with a weird curve but it should work.