Thread: Yamaha XLR reliability

Yamaha XLR reliability

Howdy, I am just wondering if anybody has had problems like me with Yamaha DXR8 mkii busting the input Jack when connecting to Mic cable? I've never busted an input on a powered speaker before, I've used Yamaha DXR mki, RCF 10, 12, and subs. It was only my second gig using this brand new speaker. The cable is now stuck in and at the repair shop. Is this something common across this Yamaha range?
    Let me know your thoughts...

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

I very much doubt that Yamaha uses inferior hardware. However, not all microphone cords are created equal. I only use genuine Switchcraft or Neutrik connectors.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by soundknight View Post
    Howdy, I am just wondering if anybody has had problems like me with Yamaha DXR8 mkii busting the input Jack when connecting to Mic cable? I've never busted an input on a powered speaker before, I've used Yamaha DXR mki, RCF 10, 12, and subs. It was only my second gig using this brand new speaker. The cable is now stuck in and at the repair shop. Is this something common across this Yamaha range?
    Let me know your thoughts...

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk
    The MKIIs have just just just been released, so you will have a tough time finding much about them at this time. I own DXR8s, DXR15s and a pair of DXS12 MKII subs, but have never had any issues yet. The only thing I've found is that the XLR ins on the MKII subs are a little too far up, where you can just squeeze your thumb in there to press down /unhook the cable. All the stuff has been rock solid though. With a 7 year warranty, Yamaha generally builds stuff right. Being a new model though, it may be an issue. Kind of like the DZRs that appear to have some kind of design flaw.

Al
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

Some JBL and EV users have reported similar troubles with XLRs getting stuck, I think it's more a cheap chinese connector problem.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com