Thread: Buying a drum machine for my boyfriend for christmas

Buying a drum machine for my boyfriend for christmas

Hello,

I am not in any way a DJ (sorry! haha) but I came on here as I need help picking a good drum machine for my boyfriend. He produces music and uses ableton. He has talked about it for a while that he wants a good drum machine that isn't too expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am a total n00b and have no clue about drum machines. Any replies would be welcome! Any suggestions of good equipment/mixers in general would be great too. I am open to getting him either a drum machine or a mixer.

Becca

I would suggest this: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php

I have no idea what are his requirements for a suitable mixer, or even what is "good equipment", so I am unable to make a suggestion on that. Obviously, DJ mixers are not suited for production.

You usually try a drum kit before buying.

He want's an electronic drum machine, not a drum kit. So I don't think that would be useful but thank you! He DJs as well as produces so the mixer would be for that, but because I know nothing about mixers being someone who has never DJ'd I was looking for suggestions of quality equipment for someone who has no knowledge of this. If I asked him what requirements then I would spoil the surprise unfortunately.

Selecting equipment without knowing the person or details is difficult. A mixer is one of the hardest pieces to guess.

Maybe if we knew what he played, open format or hip-hop dj? What type of music does he make?

https://soundcloud.com/bloomerwhite

Here is a link to his stuff!

I would look into the AKIA MPC Studio Black, however, I don't believe this is a standalone device. Meaning you have to plug in into a computer and run it with software. MPC's that can run without a PC are more expensive but that is a feature he may really want.

As you can see, there's a lot of planning when picking out a piece of equipment. If he was a house DJ or producer, I would have recommended a completely different drum machine - it really depends on the style and music a person plays/makes and a mixer can get way more specific, unfortunately.

hope this at least helps narrow things down for you. Good luck.