Thread: Digital vs Analog Pitch Opinions

Digital vs Analog Pitch Opinions

Hi guys,

I've got a couple of old citronic PD-1 mk2's which are the only turntables I've ever owned. I get by on them but I would like to upgrade sooner than later. Was really intrigued by the reloop rp700 mk2 which is pretty affordable and has good specs, until someone mentioned that they, as with all super OEM turntables, have digital pitch instead of analog. I'm now wondering if I should instead save up a bit more for a pair of good second hand technics 1210's or take the plunge and go with the more modern option. Could anyone whose owned (or even experienced mixing with) both digital and analog-pitched turntables share their thoughts regarding how they feel and which they prefer and why?

Many thanks,

Dan

I've had a pair of 1210s for the past decade and they've been solid, no issues. I had a pair of stantons str8 150s before that and did not keep them long, I felt the deck pitch was not smooth and precise enough, and that the deck torque felt beyond what I like. The pitch did not feel accurate enough or precise enough for me.

I'm not slagging off the 150s, they are solid, built like tanks and very good decks indeed. Just not for me. I know I would regard the reloops the same way, as they share the same motors and tonearm assemblies.

I still don't feel the need to upgrade, because when it's solid like that there's nothing to change. Digital decks pitch increments will not be as precise as an analogue.Because an analogue deck does not do increments.

https://djbooth.net/pro-audio/2018-0...-dj-turntables
    Last edited by Manu; 10-01-2019 at 10:47 AM.

I'd guess that there is hardly a DJ in the world that is more accurate than the digital pitch control steps.
    The feel may be different but 99% psychosomatic, so it shouldn't be a factor in your purchase.

I mean is the record you're using perfectly pressed so the central hole is exactly center?

In the past DJs have used belt drives (which are only as accurate as the wear on the rubber belt turning the deck) to do gigs to 1000s.
    My main old decks hold pitch based on photoresistors, so they hold it down like I mix - at the speed of light

If accuracy is so important - throw out the decks and do it all on computer, its the only way to be sure

Good DJs should be at ease mixing on whatever is in front of them without complaints or excuses.

Great DJs shouldn't even let acts of god stopping them throwing down the kicking beats.

bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I have owned both and still play on both regularly. For me there is no real difference. If you know how to pitch you will be able to do it on both of them.
    Never really understood why people complain so much about digital pitch....

Really has little to do with digital vs analog pitch faders. Some digital faders can have crazy high resolution and some analog faders can be garbage. The quality of timekeeping has more to do with linear servo signal direct drive motors vs pulsing direct drives. The modern high torque types are the pulsing type and tend to have worse W&F. There are ways of doing digital pitch faders on linear servo that can work fine, and there are ways, with enough effort, to do pulsing with lower W&F than most pulsing direct drives manage. And on the latter, you can also do analog or digital faders effectively to fully exploit the full potential of the rest of the TT design. On average, though, most pulsing direct drives are inferior speed regulation to most linear servos.