Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Yamaha speakers

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5

    Yamaha speakers

    I'm new to DJing and I bought 2 Yamaha DBR 10" speakers. I found out later I probably should have got 12". I was wondering what subwoofer I should get to go with these speakers and how big of a room these speakers will cover? Tia

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Teesside
    Posts
    1,207
    When using a sub... the smaller satellite speaker is actually better. They produce a more tighter accurate midrange. 10" is fine, even 8". BUT, the speaker you've bought isn't particularly good. It's a budget range and is priced accordingly. You could start by looking at the budget Yamaha Sub to match. It's not the size of the room but the people in it.

  3. #3
    Mitchiemasha is right, tens are all you need. OTOH to keep up with a pair of ten tops you need at least a pair of fifteen subs. The tops are the part of the iceberg you can see above the water, the subs are the part that's below the surface.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    When using a sub... the smaller satellite speaker is actually better. They produce a more tighter accurate midrange. 10" is fine, even 8". BUT, the speaker you've bought isn't particularly good. It's a budget range and is priced accordingly. You could start by looking at the budget Yamaha Sub to match. It's not the size of the room but the people in it.
    Well that sucks. They had good reviews when I bought them. Eventually I will upgrade them to probably 12s and a better model. But I'd like to spend the money and get a good sub. Any suggestions on models? Good for a room with 200 people?

  5. #5
    Member Daniel S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden Booyaka
    Posts
    731
    They are not that bad, they're Yamaha's entry level speakers, but still not too shabby. Far better than cheap Behringers, Gemini, Pyle, etc.

    I agree with Bill, two 15" would work nice with your tops, alternatively one 18". Each 15" will be lighter to lift than an 18", but will take up slightly more space. The upside with using two 15" is you can get away with using just one for smaller gigs.

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    They are not that bad, they're Yamaha's entry level speakers, but still not too shabby. Far better than cheap Behringers, Gemini, Pyle, etc.

    I agree with Bill, two 15" would work nice with your tops, alternatively one 18". Each 15" will be lighter to lift than an 18", but will take up slightly more space. The upside with using two 15" is you can get away with using just one for smaller gigs.
    Thank you!! If I was doing a gig for a capacity of 200 people would one 15inch be big enough? Or would I need 2 for that size?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Ottawa Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,783
    The Yamaha DBR is equivalent to the EV ZLX that I often pair with an EV EKX18sp for DJ events and this is a very good combination, with the tops in high pass mode the system gets plenty loud and sound good doing it. The take away from this is that balanced sound with modern music genres requires lots of subbage so my suggestion is to buy a high quality 18 of you can physically manage it. A single 18 sub is going to be cheaper than a pair of 15s but they are larger and harder to move.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

  8. #8
    Member Daniel S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweden Booyaka
    Posts
    731
    Quote Originally Posted by hhill19 View Post
    Thank you!! If I was doing a gig for a capacity of 200 people would one 15inch be big enough? Or would I need 2 for that size?
    I would say no. It depends on if the party would be 200 dancers, or if there would be 50 people dancing and the rest would just hang out. For 200 dancers I'd say 2*18" would be needed, perhaps even 4*18" if the crowd would be of the bass hungry kind.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
a