Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those that use PC's

For those that use PC's

What brand are you using?

HP......... but I've had Toshiba's & a few others. In all honesty, while there are differences in brands, any name brand PC is good. Its not the brand that a person need to be concerned about really. Its whats inside that matters. One brand PC is as good as the next in most cases.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

MSI, Dell, Acer in that order.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

DJ Laptop ACER, because it was the only 1 that had the faster version of that gen i5 chip at a reasonable price. All the others in that price range had the slow one but bigger harddrive or more ram etc, which I didn't need as had ram spare.
    Music Production PC, Custom build, MSI MB, i7 9700k OC 5.0, Noctua cooling, PCIe NVMe Samsung Pro 970, Vengeance ram.
    Another 2 custom builds but forget what they are.

Dix is on point. Doesn't really mater, they all make cheap and expensive ones. The cheap ones being rubbish, expensive ones being good.

I've used dells for 15 years. I don't DJ with them anymore but use them for the office work and the Photo Booth. The only thing i can say is get a solid state drive. I bought 2 laptops this year... basic machines. With the 5400 rpm HD i couldn't even use them, honestly like 15 min to start up and then were slow as all get up.... When i switched to solid state drives, they're awesome. Like really good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    Its not the brand that a person need to be concerned about really. Its whats inside that matters. One brand PC is as good as the next in most cases.
    Truth!
    I'm an IT nerd in my day job and I get this question all the time. I've run my gigs off of a Lenovo laptop with an i5 and 8GB of ram for the last several years. I'm slowly migrating to another Lenovo with an i7 and 16GB of RAM. I buy Lenovo because I've found them for really good prices. Check their refurbished section. They have some steals available sometimes.

So no Asus laptops?

For those that use PC's

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    HP......... but I've had Toshiba's & a few others. In all honesty, while there are differences in brands, any name brand PC is good. Its not the brand that a person need to be concerned about really. Its whats inside that matters. One brand PC is as good as the next in most cases.
    You’re ABSOLUTELY right, Dix. I think many would be astonished to learn just how few manufacturers of computer components there are. Computer manufacturers ALL get their components from the same places. Most of the so-called computer manufactures are merely assemblers, and make practically none of the critical components.

Quote Originally Posted by Carloscda View Post
    So no Asus laptops?
    Nothing wrong with an Asus. I've had a very basic model in my truck to use for GPS software & I cant tell you how many times someone has pulled out in front of me, causing me to brake hard & that thing flies off the seat & fall to the floor. It never fails. Always still going when I reach over & put it back on the seat. On the other hand, I had an HP back in the mid 2000's that really took a beating & always kept going. I had duct tape & glue all over that thing. It was ugly as the dickens but that thing was a really good machine.

Again, most laptops are built tough, but I'll admit some models are not so tough, but it isn't brand specific. So, again, its not really brand that you need to worry so much about. Its the specific models that you need to research.... & for a novice, that's not always easy to do.
    Here's my point. You could buy 10 different models of HPs. All new, never been opened & while most would be excellent computers that would do what most DJ's need done, there may be 1 or 2 that is just crap. HP isnt the issue really.
    Lets say that Intel comes out with a new & improved quad core processor & HP (along with 9 other brands) decide to put it in one specific model of their new line. Its a chance that this specific processor turns out to have bugs that is problematic with say, a KEFU motherboard. So, in this case 8 out of 10 HPs are excellent machines while 1 or 2 are really problematic. The people who buy the laptops with this "new & improved" Intel Processor gets a bad rap (bad reviews). In essence, if you talk to these people, HP is a piece of crap & "don't ever buy an HP". That's not totally accurate assessment. Its just that one specific model that has a single component that doesn't work well with another component. So, you dump the HP & go buy an Asus without knowing that Asus also bought that same Intel processor for one of their specif models & it has issues too.
    I bought a Toshiba once that had bad hinge design on one specific model. After you open & close it about 1000 times, the hinges would break. However, I have had several Toshiba's in my time & they have proven to be very good machines. Just happens that I got a bad model that time. Now when I buy a new laptop, the hinge design is something I look at.

In short, rather than focus so much on brand, find a model that has the power & features you want & research it. PC Magazine usually has good independent reviews. Additionally, just google that "(brand & model) reviews" & just see if there are any issues. Especially the same issue over & over.
    1) Contract, Contract, Contract!

2) Join VIP & support DJF: http://www.djforums.com/forums/payments.php

I've been Thinkpads for decades.. first IBM then Lenovo. They aren't as indestructably as they were in the IBM days but they are still really nice, and basically I am all about the trackpoint mouse and don't want a laptop without one. So for me that limits it to Thinkpads or to certain higher end Dell or HP models. Right now I'm looking at upgrading to a Thinkpad X380 (pretty new, but not the newest, so I can get it at a decent price).