Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Production - Help!

Techno....

Ride drum sounds 4/4 in the mix louder than any other style.
    Even faster close hat or shaker for drive, sense of speed, is it every 16th? (i'm not so clued up on timing naming) but add some swing to create groove. The hits should have different velocities, and panned, alternating.
    Reverbed mid range on the kicks to give them that huge arena, slapback sound. A quieter delayed kick, after the first is another option... Just record the kick from your favourite track.
    Percussive elements that you have to focus on in context of the full phrase, not just the bar. The elements will double up, stutter, add rhythm as the song progresses.

Don't worry about "vinyl mastering" being the difference, secret to the sound. Mastering itself is the last 5%. The extra uniqueness to Vinyl mastering actually degrades the track, which you can easily emulate. Keep all the low energy mono, roll off shit loads of it, the bass is more an illusion, higher up, highcut everything over 16-18k. High end build up can be a pain... especially when all those drum sounds are going to be a lot louder in this style than other styles.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    Even faster close hat or shaker for drive, sense of speed, is it every 16th? (i'm not so clued up on timing naming)
    both but 8th usually.. Do do hear hi hats hitting every 16th on some tracks. Depends on the style you're going for i guess - if it sounds good, do it.
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 09-27-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Hey, thanks for all of the advice so far. Back home now so i can finally start focusing on techno production! First thing I've learned is that the very basic stuff ive out together so far was done through my headphones, now im home i had a listen through the speakers i use for djing and what i put together when i was away was absolutely shocking hehe. So ive connected my computer through the speakers i use for djing!!!!

I'm just going one step at a time, im trying to use YT tutorials as best i can, but im going to have a tonne of questions going forward, I hope I'm not to annoying!!

First things first, what is the best plug in in FL 20 to clean unwanted sounds from a kick drum? I want to personalise and tailor my kick. Thanks

At 11.30 onwards in this tutorial..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjRjtRe4VQo

I'm grasping up to this point in the video. Now i'm stuck. I've been trying to figure this out for ages. How do i carry over and replicate this method into fl 20?

I've got my kick and basic bass line sorted, ive raised the pitch to 12 semitones.

Sorry to be annoying. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jambon View Post
    At 11.30 onwards in this tutorial..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjRjtRe4VQo

I'm grasping up to this point in the video. Now i'm stuck. I've been trying to figure this out for ages. How do i carry over and replicate this method into fl 20?

Creating a pitch bend for every note? See if there's a FL specific tutorial video on pitch bends. Or, forget videos and check the FL manual or search for a site that has the technique written our. I have to assume that the steps are the same in older versions, unless the plugin you're using is new to FL20.

How about this one:
    https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials...io--audio-4318
    Last edited by Rek_Aviles; 10-07-2019 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rek_Aviles View Post
    Creating a pitch bend for every note?
    Yikes, get a keyboard with a pitch and do it manually?

No keyboard for the time being lol

Ok thanks for the link. I can now increase the pitch of each note separately by clicking 'note fine pitch' so that's cool. However in regards to actually trying to bend the pitch of a note ive tried 'channel pitch' mentioned in link but it doesn't seem to make a difference. 'Event Editor' is mentioned ill try that. Not sure if its a plugin I have. In the YT video it seems so straightforward

*I don't have Event Editor
    Last edited by Jambon; 10-07-2019 at 02:40 PM.

Right I get using an automation clip for a bar or longer period but I still don't understand and can't grasp the pitch bend for one note. Help lol

Ok I think I've sussed it! There is a slide switch top left of the piano roll where I can enter slide notes which alters the pitch. Massively over looked that got myself into a bit of an overwhelmed pickle lol.