Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loud speakers upgrade recommendations

Loud speakers upgrade recommendations

Just recently sold my RCF312A. Now looking for upgrade advice, I currently have 1 Peavey RBN 215 Powered PA Subwoofer. I was looking to match it with the same model of loud speaker but I've read some bad reviews correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking to spend somewhere around 1,500 I can do if it'sworthit. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by elviejoboy View Post
    I was looking to match it with the same model of loud speaker but I've read some bad reviews correct me if I'm wrong.
    That RBN series of PA speakers uses a ribbon tweeter which sounds really good but they are more fragile than a traditional compression driver, PV uses the same/similar ribbon in a line array box and have the same problem there too.

So what about the RCF312a do you not like? Did you have any problems with them, do you want speakers with more output, or lighter weight, etc?
    And what is your impression of the RBN sub? How long have you had it?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    That RBN series of PA speakers uses a ribbon tweeter which sounds really good but they are more fragile than a traditional compression driver, PV uses the same/similar ribbon in a line array box and have the same problem there too.

So what about the RCF312a do you not like? Did you have any problems with them, do you want speakers with more output, or lighter weight, etc?
    And what is your impression of the RBN sub? How long have you had it?
    The RCF312a they were good just got old and think I need more power. The RBN Sub I haven't get the chance to Use it yet . I was using at a small venue but the had a meter and I didn't get to push it like I wanted to test it. But so it look like it's a monster.

There are a lot of good choices you could make for an upgrade.
    RCF 7xx or HD series
    Yamaha DXR or DSR
    EV EKX or ETX
    JBL PRX800 or SRX800

I own a bunch of the new EV boxes including EKX12p's as well as a pair of Yamaha DXR, both of these are very good sounding and capable of high SPL, and I think boxes like these with the full face grill look better/more modern.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks you so much I will be looking for the Yamaha

Take a hard look at the EV ETX. Outstanding speakers.
    BillESC
    Lighting, Sound & Video since 1973
    804-435-6858 [email][bill@entsyscorp.com]

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    There are a lot of good choices you could make for an upgrade.
    RCF 7xx or HD series
    Yamaha DXR or DSR
    EV EKX or ETX
    JBL PRX800 or SRX800

I own a bunch of the new EV boxes including EKX12p's as well as a pair of Yamaha DXR, both of these are very good sounding and capable of high SPL, and I think boxes like these with the full face grill look better/more modern.
    Hey i did some research on the yamaha DSR and it looks like they discontinued it. So now I'm left with EV EKX ,JBL PRX812 nd Yamaha DXR. that's the only ones that are in my price range. any recommendations on which one you would pick. I'm really trying to stay away from paying 1100$ per speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by elviejoboy View Post
    Hey I did some research on the Yamaha DSR and it looks like they discontinued it. So now I'm left with EV EKX ,JBL PRX812 nd Yamaha DXR. that's the only ones that are in my price range. any recommendations on which one you would pick. I'm really trying to stay away from paying 1100$ per speaker.
    Do you always want to haul the sub around or do you do lots of smaller gigs?

Yamaha just released the DXR MKII series. Not much different from the MKI (which sre fantastic), but the biggger (new) 1.75" compression driver might improve their sound quality in the upper mids if the processing was correctly updated at the same time. I am hoping to review these in the neear future and possibly upgrade my own MKIs

Al Poulin - PArty-Time! DJ Services

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proa...l#product-tabs
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

Quote Originally Posted by Al Poulin View Post
    Yamaha just released the DXR MKII series. Not much different from the MKI (which sre fantastic), but the biggger (new) 1.75" compression driver might improve their sound quality in the upper mids if the processing was correctly updated at the same time. I am hoping to review these in the neear future and possibly upgrade my own MKIs

Al Poulin - PArty-Time! DJ Services

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/proa...l#product-tabs
    Hey Al,

I have a set of DXR12’s MK1’s that I use with EV Live X 18’s. I’ve been happy with the setup haven’t had any issues whatsoever. I would however like to lightened my load and pick up some 15 inch tops and ditch the subs for small to medium size gigs.

I have an oddball DSR set up with one 12 and one 15 that I haven’t used as a set. For quite some time I’ve been looking for a deal that would allow me to sale/trade the DSR 12 for a DSR 15.
    I know the DSR’s are “unicorns” in that they are overbuilt (in a good way) and are still pricy. I’m seeing $799 for for a DSR15- out of my budget for now.

What are your thoughts on the DXR15’s MK1. I have an opportunity to pick up a used set of DXR15’s for more than half off their original price.

Would the DXR15’s be a large compromise to the DSR in stand alone usage?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk