Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loud speakers upgrade recommendations

Loud speakers upgrade recommendations

.l had some tech glitch. Sorry for the duplicate posts.
    Last edited by DJ Que Yi; 11-26-2019 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Que Yi View Post
    I would however like to lightened my load and pick up some 15 inch tops and ditch the subs for small to medium size gigs.
    For best results low frequency sources should be placed on the floor next to a wall, midrange and high frequency sources should be on a stand well away from any walls. You can't do that when you don't have separate subs and tops.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    For best results low frequency sources should be placed on the floor next to a wall, midrange and high frequency sources should be on a stand well away from any walls. You can't do that when you don't have separate subs and tops.
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for your reply and I agree with you 100%. I’m aware of the sacrifice of a full low end sound by not utilizing subs(especially when wall loaded).

I’m just curious of how capable is it to use “15’s on a stick” in terms of having good sound.

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15s on a stick aren't going to work much better, if at all better, than 12s. They may even be worse, if they don't cross over to the high frequency element at a low enough frequency to maintain good midrange response and dispersion. IME most don't.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    15s on a stick aren't going to work much better, if at all better, than 12s. They may even be worse, if they don't cross over to the high frequency element at a low enough frequency to maintain good midrange response and dispersion. IME most don't.
    So what’s the best use for 15s?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

Subs.
    Bill Fitzmaurice

I’m just curious of how capable is it to use “15’s on a stick” in terms of having good sound.
    I own a set of DXR15's and they do sound quite good, boxes like this typically produce a more fullrange sound than their smaller cousins but they still don't produce sub-bass like a dedicated subwoofer. If this was 1980 boxes like these would be perfectly fine to DJ with.. I used something similar in the '80's and early '90's, but times have changed and music these days contains a LOT more bass and sub-bass. As an example a single 15" powered sub like the EV EKX or ETX paired with a couple 8" tops will totally outclass a pair of DXR15's on stands, way better bass and much better clarity overall. That is "The Problem" with 2-way PA speakers, even if they are capable of pretty impressive bass output they can't do that and produce clear mids at the same time because all of that comes from the same driver, to do so requires a 3-way box but that increases size and weight and makes for a difficult hoist up onto stands.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    I own a set of DXR15's and they do sound quite good, boxes like this typically produce a more fullrange sound than their smaller cousins but they still don't produce sub-bass like a dedicated subwoofer. If this was 1980 boxes like these would be perfectly fine to DJ with.. I used something similar in the '80's and early '90's, but times have changed and music these days contains a LOT more bass and sub-bass. As an example a single 15" powered sub like the EV EKX or ETX paired with a couple 8" tops will totally outclass a pair of DXR15's on stands, way better bass and much better clarity overall. That is "The Problem" with 2-way PA speakers, even if they are capable of pretty impressive bass output they can't do that and produce clear mids at the same time because all of that comes from the same driver, to do so requires a 3-way box but that increases size and weight and makes for a difficult hoist up onto stands.
    Thanks Conanski!

So what do you say in today’s world is the ideal use of 2 way 15’s? Are they to better used over 18’ subs for larger (350-500) events and outdoor events? Or are they obsolete?

Thanks,
    Que Yi

So what do you say in today’s world is the ideal use of 2 way 15’s? Are they to better used over 18’ subs for larger (350-500) events and outdoor events? Or are they obsolete?
    The 15+1" box should be obsolete but you couldn't tell looking at sales figures, manufacturers keep building them because people keep buying them. This design has a lot of compromises so it's not really ideal for much, a person might think they could use them for applications where real deep heavy bass isn't necessary but facts are the 12" version of the same box which is often smaller and lighter would do that job just as well. I would have never bought the DXR15's I have except that an unbelievable deal fell in my lap and I couldn't pass it up, I got a perfectly functional set of speakers but most times they are used over subs anyway so any extra bass the 15 might produce isn't utilized and I have to move these bigger boxes. They don't come out unless someone specifically asks for them or all of my 12's are already in use.

15+2" boxes on the other hand are a different story, with these the crossover frequency is usually much lower and the big diaphram CD does a much better job with vocals in particular, these boxes are very well suited to live sound applications but they are also significantly more expensive too... usually more than what a starter DJ or hobbyist musician wants to pay so they aren't as common.

My most common deployment is 12" tops with 18" subs, I also have a set of double 15 boxes with a big 2" CD that are only ever paired with double 18 subs, these boxes only come out a few times a year for live bands or the odd DJ gig that requires a REALLY loud system.. that is what these boxes do well, but for the most part there is simply no need for 15" tops with recorded music.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com