Thread: Advice on Generator

Advice on Generator

Hi guys,

Just wondering if I could get some advice on the suitability of a Subaru ex21D generator for running both a B-52 Matrix 2000 system and some lighting?

Specs here: https://subarupower.com/wp-content/u...x27-owners.pdf

Cheers,
    Michael

The link you provided is for an engine not a generator, do you have the same for the generator?

To figure out if the genset is appropriate add up the power consumption of all devices being connected. For lighting and small signal electronics(mixers, wireless microphones, etc) there is usually a current draw rating on the power supply of the equipment or where the IEC cable plugs in. For lighting use the rated wattage of the fixture. Speakers are more complicated, the rating on the amp module will be a long term average which will be quite low compared to the rated audio output, and my experience suggests you will need enough generator power to cover the audio power rating +10-15% which in this case is about 1500w to cover that unit alone.
    Last edited by conanski; 09-18-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Whatever you do, try and end up with something giving you a pure (or true) sine wave considering you will be using it with some sensitive electronics.

My generator experience suggests a pure sinewave version is not absolutely necessary, I have run several parade float systems on a quality non inverter generators with no problems, matter of fact the only time I had a problem was with the highly respected Honda inverter models but I believe that was related to the GFCI outlets which don't agree with a lot of modern electronics that contain switching power supplies. When I have used a heavy duty generator cable connected to the 220v outlet(which then splits into 2 115v outlets) there have been no problems. I believe as long as the generator provides voltage regulation and is of sufficient size it will be fine.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

i know this is an old thread, although it seems as though lately there hasn't been much activity on here. but as far as generators go i'm more of an old soul. i'm not into these new inverter generators or even these 3600 rpm buzz boxes. for my generator needs i use an old RV generator. they were designed to be fuel efficient, quiet and run extended periods of time with very little maintenance, albeit they are kinda heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    My generator experience suggests a pure sinewave version is not absolutely necessary, I have run several parade float systems on a quality non inverter generators with no problems, matter of fact the only time I had a problem was with the highly respected Honda inverter models but I believe that was related to the GFCI outlets which don't agree with a lot of modern electronics that contain switching power supplies. When I have used a heavy duty generator cable connected to the 220v outlet(which then splits into 2 115v outlets) there have been no problems. I believe as long as the generator provides voltage regulation and is of sufficient size it will be fine.
    This and what sndscientist posted. Clean sine wave is a little over stated. I have both "conventional" generators and an inverter. Which one? The system you are using is fairly low demand, for that I would use, out of my current inventory the Honda EB2800i. Why? Because it's quiet, lightweight and easy to move around. The decent inverter types manage engine RPM based upon load demand and do it very well. They don't have to run at 3600 RPM do create 60hz sine wave electricity.

Purchased my first generator around 2011 for emergency backup power for my house and it was a low-end Generac. The UPS's on electronics in my house didn't like it, so I upgraded soon, as I want to be able to play music and watch satellite TV during power outages. Getting back into sound and lighting is where the inverter came into the picture, specifically for garden weddings.

The other two generators I currently own are a 13HP 9000W and a 20HP 13,000W that are copper wound generators, clean sine wave output but heavy and noisy. For some jobs it doesn't matter.

So really it's about the environment with regard to how to weigh in the quiet factor into the equation. Then how much weight do you want to lug around.
    Last edited by SWS Productions; 03-07-2020 at 10:26 AM.