Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which DJ Software (PC)

Which DJ Software (PC)

Hey,

I'm looking for some opinions to help me decide on which DJ software to invest time into using.

Background
    After a bit of a hiatus, I decided recently that I wanted to geting into DJing again. When I say DJing, what I really mean is just recording some mixes to listen to and share with friends and occasionally sticking a few tracks together when people come over for a drink etc.

I'm not a noob as such, I was pretty used to playing on Technics and similar back in the day, and went through a phase of using Ableton Live to put some mixes together a few years back. What's reignited the itch for me is actually using Algoriddim DJay on my phone and my iPad, It was great to pick up stuff from Spotify and put mixes together at home or in the garden/car/beach/ etc etc.

Recently bought a Numark MixTrack Pro3 for a bargain price and using it with DJay Pro on PC. This is pretty good, but there are a couple of niggles and wonder if worth looking at other options - just not sure what is best.

The niggles with Djay on PC are
    - The filter on the mixer is awful.
    - Looping doesn't seem to behave properly or sync too well
    - No proper playlist/crate facility
    - Just wonder what else I could be missing out on!

Requirements
    I have no problem learning software normally, just want to make sure I spend time getting set up and into the program that will be best for me. This is specifically what I need.

1) Supports / fully compatible with with Numark Mixtrack Pro 3
    2) Able to use multiple audio devices (generally I use the cue out from my mixtrack, but the main output is going to my other audio interface because they are hooked up to my monitors)
    3) Decent filter and EQ
    4) Good track synching (I am not a purist, I can beatmatch if I need to, but far prefer to let the computer do it and focus on track selection / eq / blending).
    5) Timestretch / key detection
    6) Good library management and playlist/crate features

So basically, looking for recommendations and opinions, what are you guys using?

Cheers

Frankly, #2 is the stinker - there is not a lot of good DJ software that allows for more than one audio interface. You sure you don't mean multiple channels out of a single interface?

The one I know of that does do all 6 parameters is Mixxx, and lucky for you, it is totally free -
    https://www.mixxx.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    Frankly, #2 is the stinker - there is not a lot of good DJ software that allows for more than one audio interface. You sure you don't mean multiple channels out of a single interface?

The one I know of that does do all 6 parameters is Mixxx, and lucky for you, it is totally free -
    https://www.mixxx.org/
    Thanks for reply.

Ideally I do want to use multiple interfaces. I have a decent interface (iConnectAudio4+) and my monitors are connected to this. When I want to DJ I plug in the Mixtrack to the PC and headphones into that for Cueing. dJay supports this so I sort of assumed most programs would. I suppose.if there was good reason to, I could use the Mixtrack just as a controller and have both main and cue outputs running through different channels in my iConnectAudio4+.

I just took a quick look at Mixxx. I couldn't immediately see how it syncs tracks together, the sync buttons didn't seem to quantize the first beat in the bar. I will explore further though if you think it does this.

If the software/Hardware support ASIO4All drivers then you can get the computer to see multiple soundcards as one deivce.
    Then go into settings and set whichever ones you want as output, and whichever as input.

Be aware than most software maybe supports this in some way but you may have issues. Obviously they aren't thinking of your particular setup when they are creating their software/devices. So do some research before you invest any time/money.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thanks. I'm not really into the idea of using ASIO4All with my audio interface, I use it for some (amateur) production stuff and it's nice and stable so want to keep it that way.

I had assumed most "pro" Djay apps would support two audio devices to be honest. Would think it's quite common place for someone to have a basic 2 output interface and just want to add a separate one for cueing and a mixer.

I can see it's not though, was just looking at Serato and even that doesn't do it.

I guess there's no real reason I couldn't just use my audio interface and use the mixtrack solely as a controller, so long as the application would let me do that.

I will check out Mixxx properly still though. Any one else with other thoughts?

Interested in any other opinions on what pe

Virtual DJ also seems to do everything I need. Subscription / licensing model a bit odd though.

I am going to look at that one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    Virtual DJ also seems to do everything I need. Subscription / licensing model a bit odd though.

I am going to look at that one too.
    What like a 1 off payment for a life time. If you know you're a DJ and DJ'ing is what you're going to do.... It's model is the best, think long term, not short term.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchiemasha View Post
    What like a 1 off payment for a life time. If you know you're a DJ and DJ'ing is what you're going to do.... It's model is the best, think long term, not short term.
    A one off payment is the only basis I would buy software .

With VDJ the choices are:

"Home" - Free (but you can't use a controller)
    "Home Plus" - $49-$249 to licence your specific controller with VDJ
    "Pro" - $19 per month or $299 one off and you can use with any controller (So yeah, 1 payment, but $300 for DJ software?)
    "Business" - $99 per month

So the only one off payment is $300 which is far too much imo.

The Home Plus option is $99 for my mixtrack pro 3. Price would be fine if that was a one off purchase of the software but it isn't, it's only for the life of my controller - if I want to change my controller, either just to try something else (like my APC 40 MkII) or if my Mixtrack dies, I have to buy Virtual DJ again. This is undoubtedly a very odd model, which I haven't seen anywhere else.
    Last edited by Dave Beep; 09-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beep View Post
    $300 which is far too much imo.
    It really isn't too much. The pricing plan is perfect.

Some might only ever own 1 or 2 controllers so they 'might' get away with cheeping out and saving on a controller licence. You may be able to sell the controller with the licence adding more value to the resale when you upgrade. If you wanted to try something different, you can use the per month option until committing to that controller. Others know they'll be doing this for life and will own many. 100 for a life time would be extremely bad for business. They need to price the full a bit high for people to be tempted on subscription, some of those people will end up paying more or if they gig irregularly, cover them when needed. Those unsure can try it out without the big fee or having to resort to piracy. If you understand business and are serious about Dj'ing, you'd realise the 300 option is actually a very good deal. Try home... if you like it, instantly pay the full fee and forget about it. 5, 10, 15 years later you'll understand. Unless DJ'ing for you was actually a fad!

Don't forget to use it as a tax offset too.

$300 is approximately three times more than I am willing to pay for DJ software. I am happy to pay money for software and I don't use warez but no DJ software is worth $300 to me personally, particularly when it's triple the cost of other options that may fit the bill.

Serato $129
    Traktor Pro $99
    DJay Pro $49
    Mixvibes Cross DJ Pro $99
    Mixxx $0
    etc

So that leaves me considering the $99 option to licence it to my controller, which may be worth it but just feels a very odd model and is a bit offputting. Also Virtual DJay licenses are not transferable according to their website so that advice seems misleading.

It seems that you only responded regarding my opinion on VDJ pricing structure rather than giving any help/input on the main thread topic. With talk about tax and business I am not sure if you read my OP? If you want to convince me that Virtual DJay is the way to go, please read my original post (and maybe my introduction post) and talk to me about what's great about it and why it would suit me please. I am genuinely interested in that. The reason for this thread was to get some opinions from experienced DJs on the pros/cons of each software.